Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 19th, 2017 13:00

Precision 3420 turning OFF secure BOOT renders it unusable

This is the second Precision 3420 we try with the same result. Going into BIOS, Turn Off secure boot, then Turn On Legacy Boot. After saving the setting and rebooting the Dell logo screen does not show up anymore. Trying to press F2 or F12 immediately after reboot does not work either. I spent hours trying to debug the issue with Dell technicians and in the end the conclusion is always the same: return the computer.

Working in a research environment means we need to install any Linux we want on this machine. UEFI + Secure Boot might not always be a good option in this case. I am curios about a few issues here:

1) Should I set something different in the BIOS besides those 2 options?

2) Even if the settings were wrong, how come there is no way for the BIOS to gracefully recover?

3) Is Precision 3420 the wrong choice for research environment considering we do our work in linux world?

Val

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 24th, 2017 11:00

UBUNTU 12.04.5  and higher including 16.04  LTS is supported by Dell and does boot UEFI secure boot.

Dell supports Ubuntu.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/4/Drivers/SupportedOS/precision-t3420-workstation

You will have to use disk part to erase the drive completely

before trying to install Linux.

Dell does not support Joe and everyones left brother crab shack linux however.

Dell also supports Redhat

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 25th, 2017 11:00

Use a blank hard drive and clear cmos.

Then get the CSM ON with secure boot OFF.

Then install blank drive and F12 boot from USB or DVD and install os.

The bios will black screen of death boot on a drive that has a secure boot partition on it.  Windows or Linux behave the same way.

I assume you have CLASS 2.3.1 BIOS and not CLASS 3.

Class 3 bios has no CSM.

9 Posts

January 24th, 2017 12:00

Thank you for your answer. This is very insightful. Good to know that Joe's brothers should get off the Dell's turf. We already did.

thanks again,

Val

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 25th, 2017 09:00

The reason I stress UBUNTU 12.04.5 is that earlier versions can be risky.   There are also a number of people who demand that dell support CENTOS, SUSE,  MINT, etc.    There aren't enough resources to support every distro out there.
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/02/booting-linux-instead-of-windows-8-bricks-some-samsung-laptops/

Dell started supporting 12.04 LTS with the Sputnik project.

https://lists.us.dell.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-precision

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/555/campaigns/xps-linux-laptop?c=us&l=en&s=biz

Dell want's to hear from you! Help us evolve these systems in an open environment.

Read and contribute to the Sputnik forum. Check out Sputnik news and reviews and get project details at Dell TechCenter.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 25th, 2017 10:00

Dell provides support for many things including software.  However this support is not free.  Redhat support is also not free.  Ubuntu support is also not free.

Dell can even send an engineer to help you build and image of the software you want and then order that directly from dell at the factory.

None of these services are free however.

The contract for one onsite engineer where I am is $250,000 a year for a dedicated engineer.  The Red Hat licenses end up being about $1000 per server and that doesn't include support.

9 Posts

Hi SpeedStep,

Thank you for your answer. I went over many steps with Dell tech support, including CMOS reset, HDD disconnected, memory swapping, you name it. Both machines were bricked for good in my case.

Val

9 Posts

Actually the systems we got were indeed with Ubuntu pre-installed. First system was the worse. After turning on the machine for the first time the pre-installed Ubuntu got stuck at boot screen. It was impossible to boot it. The second system we received did finally boot Ubuntu successfully.  Both machines got bricked though after turning those options in UEFI.

For other people out there this is indeed a very useful thread. I spent hours debugging this issue with Dell tech support for 2 of those machines. It is much easier as a user to try a few things by yourself, like SpeedStep already mentioned, and maybe you are lucky and some of these might work for you.

Before working inside this computer is important to discharge any static electricity left there. So first step is to remove the power cable then press the start button. You will see the computer will try to come to life for a split second and stop afterwards. After doing this is safe to proceed with any work you might want to try. Also note there are 2 ways of reseting the CMOS, at least this was true for the 2 machines we got. You can use the old way of removing the coin battery or use the reset jumpers on the MB.

Val

9 Posts

We knew about these options as well. But again, in our case we wanted no software support from Dell, an option hard to "buy" from Dell. And this case has nothing to do with software support whatsoever. There are 2 options in UEFI: Disable Secure Boot and Enable Legacy Boot. Turning these On will brick the machine. This has nothing to do with software support. This looks more like a defective UEFI implementation.

Val

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

The drives you have are windows.   If you erase the drives and install windows or linux or whatever onto a blank drive with secure boot off it works.  The bricking appearance is microsoft's fault for not allowing to install 32 bit os not from microsoft .   Ubuntu installs on these systems with secure boot on or off.    The exact scenario you say I have tried and it works fine when cmos is cleared and you start with blank drives.

Dell does not sell Bare systems with no os.

I was also able to pre order a unit online with ubuntu installed.

Dell will only support systems with the os that they came with.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

If you disconnect the hard drive and disable secure boot and remove the cmos battery it will unbrick the unit and allow installation of Linux with secure boot off.   I just tried this and my 3420 was not bricked.  The UEFI boot entry and corrupt NVRAM after turning secure boot off is what is causing the black screen of death.   If you purchased these systems with Linux pre installed this would not be an issue.

9 Posts

I agree to some extend that asking Dell to provide support for all Linux distros out there might be relatively too much atm. My request was exactly the opposite though. I wanted zero support from Dell regarding the software I was about to install on this desktop computer.  Apparently this is impossible to accomplish. 

Thank you for the posted links, they are very useful. But just to clarify this is not a case like the one related with samsung laptops. Here we did not boot any other operating system. Simply just disabling Secure Boot and Enable Legacy will brick the machine. No other external software is required to accomplish this except the UEFI the Dell Precision 3420 comes with.

Val

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

The install must be done with a blank drive if you start out with a secure boot setup.

Blank drive and cleared cmos works.

Black screen of death crashes are not a bricked machine.

The other caveat is that you must use UBUNTU 12.04.5 or Red Hat and it must be the 64 bit version of the os.

I keep a windows 2 go drive and a bootable USB linux drive specifically for this.

9 Posts

In my case both were bricked. To give you more details, together with Dell tech support we started the second machine debugging by removing the HDD and memory. Obviously rebooting like this will trigger the expected beep alarm and the power LED will be yellow if I remember the color code correctly. We added next the memory, and we tried to boot plugging the memory in different slots. Then we added the HDD back.

To understand this correctly, did you start by reformatting the drive and after that changing the UEFI options?

Val

No Events found!