val_31
1 Nickel

RE: Precision 3420 turning OFF secure BOOT renders it unusable

Jump to solution

Actually the systems we got were indeed with Ubuntu pre-installed. First system was the worse. After turning on the machine for the first time the pre-installed Ubuntu got stuck at boot screen. It was impossible to boot it. The second system we received did finally boot Ubuntu successfully.  Both machines got bricked though after turning those options in UEFI.

For other people out there this is indeed a very useful thread. I spent hours debugging this issue with Dell tech support for 2 of those machines. It is much easier as a user to try a few things by yourself, like SpeedStep already mentioned, and maybe you are lucky and some of these might work for you.

Before working inside this computer is important to discharge any static electricity left there. So first step is to remove the power cable then press the start button. You will see the computer will try to come to life for a split second and stop afterwards. After doing this is safe to proceed with any work you might want to try. Also note there are 2 ways of reseting the CMOS, at least this was true for the 2 machines we got. You can use the old way of removing the coin battery or use the reset jumpers on the MB.

Val

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

The install must be done with a blank drive if you start out with a secure boot setup.

Blank drive and cleared cmos works.

Black screen of death crashes are not a bricked machine.

The other caveat is that you must use UBUNTU 12.04.5 or Red Hat and it must be the 64 bit version of the os.

I keep a windows 2 go drive and a bootable USB linux drive specifically for this.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

val_31
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

In my case both were bricked. To give you more details, together with Dell tech support we started the second machine debugging by removing the HDD and memory. Obviously rebooting like this will trigger the expected beep alarm and the power LED will be yellow if I remember the color code correctly. We added next the memory, and we tried to boot plugging the memory in different slots. Then we added the HDD back.

To understand this correctly, did you start by reformatting the drive and after that changing the UEFI options?

Val

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

Use a blank hard drive and clear cmos.

Then get the CSM ON with secure boot OFF.

Then install blank drive and F12 boot from USB or DVD and install os.

The bios will black screen of death boot on a drive that has a secure boot partition on it.  Windows or Linux behave the same way.

I assume you have CLASS 2.3.1 BIOS and not CLASS 3.

Class 3 bios has no CSM.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro