Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 17th, 2010 07:00

Precision 360 - won't able to reinstall new OS

I am trouble shooting a Precision 360, which could not boot up.  After changed everything from cable, battery, video card, and new hard drive; when I tried to run the windows setup for the new OS, I got the error message saying that the hard drive is not detected or not connected which prevent the windows setup to complete.  Any suggestions that might help, i am really appreciated.

9.3K Posts

June 17th, 2010 10:00

You OS CD/DVD doesn't contain the storage controller driver. You'll need to download this, extract it to a floppy probably and then when the OS started to install, follow the OS instruction on how to add another storage driver (you didn't specify your OS or storage controller, so I cannot be more precise in my instructions).

8 Posts

June 17th, 2010 11:00

This is my OS, and where can I download the driver? dell website?

288 Posts

June 17th, 2010 12:00

If your os is Windows xp then you will have to download the sata controller driver from the dell web site and make a floppy disk to complete an f6 during your windows installation. Good Luck.

8 Posts

June 17th, 2010 18:00

Should I download the IDE controller instead since my hard drive is IDE, not sata?

288 Posts

June 18th, 2010 06:00

No sorry, sata controller is not required if your running ide. My incorrect assumption since we did not have enough info. Is this the only drive your planning on using (ie not a raid set up) ? Is your drive formatted? Is it a known good performing drive with no prior issues? Have you enabled the ide port in the bios? Are you planning on using xp or another version of windows? Post back with responses please.

8 Posts

June 18th, 2010 09:00

Hi, this pc was having problem with booting, so I changed the memory and upgrade it up from 512k to 2G, replaced new video card, replaced new battery on the system board, and still can not boot up with the old hard drive.  Therefore, i changed the new hard drive and trying to load it with new OS - Windows XP; and keep getting error from the installation process which no hard drive is detected.

8 Posts

June 22nd, 2010 05:00

Anybody has any other ideas?  I am desparate at this time.  PLS

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 22nd, 2010 15:00

Are you sure it's booting from the Wndows CD and not from the new hard drive?

Are you sure this is an IDE drive? Precision 360 has both SATA and IDE ports for a hard drive.

If this an IDE hard drive that connects to the motherboard with a wide, flat ribbon cable , did you jumper the hard drive correctly? And the drive has to be connected to the end connector on the ribbon cable that's connected to the IDE primary connector on the motherboard.

Did you read  If You Have a Problem in the manual under Primary Drive n and Secondary Drive ?

Ron

8 Posts

June 24th, 2010 21:00

Yes, I put in a new IDE drive (160G); and keep getting the message which installation can not continue because no hard drive drivers is found or detected.  I also change new cable for the the hard drive and connnect it correct to the motherboard.  I download the IDE controller from dell support on a floppy and hit F6 while installation process and still can do it. It just keep asking for the manufacture hardware support disc. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 25th, 2010 11:00

Me again...

Run BIOS setup and make sure the IDE Drive Interface setting is set to AUTO, not to OFF

Ron

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 25th, 2010 11:00

I'm confused...!

The only IDE download I see on Dell's drivers page for the Precision 360 is for Hitachi Deskstar hard drives. So unless you're installing one of the listed Hitachi drives, I don't know why you're trying to install that. Besides, even if you are installing one of those Hitachi drives, you do not install the update during the Windows XP installation. It's a firmware update for the drive's hardware and doesn't have any use during the XP installation.

You press F6 during the XP installation to install SATA drivers, but you said this is an IDE drive, so there's no reason to press F6 during the XP installation.

Did you read the If you have problems link in my previous post?  Did you set the jumper on the hard drive? Set it to "cable select", and be sure the drive is properly attached to the end of the primary IDE ribbon cable and to a connector from the power supply.

I suppose it's always possible you got a bum hard drive... ??

Ron

No Events found!