Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 17th, 2013 07:00

Precision 470 Restart Problem

I recently purchased a refurbished Dell Precision 470.

The badge shows Windows XP but the refurbishers installed Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

They also installed a Nvidia Quadro FX3400 - 256 MB GDDR3 - Dual DVI Output graphics card. At startup there was a warning message that the card was not receiving enough power. It transpired that the card did not have a PCI Express power cable attached. One was sent to me & I fitted it. The warning message no longer displayed.

The problem is that when restarting the machine it goes off; the diagnostic lights A & C are green & B & D are yellow. The manual states that this shows a memory problem.

Holding down the power button to turn the pc off then pressing it to turn the pc on results in the same diagnostic lights.

If I turn off the pc again & then wait for a minute or two then press the power button the pc starts OK.

This is a nuisance & I would like advice.

Thanking all responders in advance,

Allan.

3 Posts

June 19th, 2013 04:00

Take out all ram and test one stick at a time. If all the ram tests fine one stick at a time the issue is that the ram is either not dual channel compatible OR its too slow for the processor.  After one ram must be installed in pairs.  NOT 1 2 3 4 in the slots its 1 3  then 2 4.

Thankyou for your advice & please excuse the time taken for me to reply; I had been waiting for the seller of the PC to respond.

I was about to test the memory as advised but when I tried both the start & the restart processes the good news is that they are now working fine. Another of the mysteries of PC's :-).

Fingers crossed all will be OK now but if the problem reoccurs I will follow your advice,

Kind regards,

Allan.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 17th, 2013 07:00

Take out all ram and test one stick at a time. If all the ram tests fine one stick at a time the issue is that the ram is either not dual channel compatible OR its too slow for the processor.  After one ram must be installed in pairs.  NOT 1 2 3 4 in the slots its 1 3  then 2 4.

No Events found!