Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

April 27th, 2007 19:00

Precision 690 Fan noise

My 690 has never been the quietest of machines, particularly under load, but since upgrading the graphics card from a Quadro 4500 to a 4600, the fan noise has considerably worsened.

Using Everest 4.0, I can see that the System fan, which starts around 1300rpm, goes as high as 3000rpm sometimes, and typically is around 2300rpm - some 500rpm higher than before the upgrade. The Chassis fan is 225rpm, the CPU 230rpm and the PSU is 1443rpm. Interesting, the System fan seems to track the PSU fan. Now the temperatures, according to EVEREST, have not changed, and if anything are not warm. The fan increases speed without ANY change in temperatures at all.

Is the System fan actually temperature controlled, or does it just follow load on the PSU? That would make sense as the 4600 has a much higher power load than the 4500 card.

Full spec is:-

Dell Precision 690, 2x5355 quad xeons, 1KW, 8gb 667 ram with riser, 4x137gb Hitachi SAS 15k drives in the top 4 caddies connected to an Adaptec 48300 SAS card in a Raid-10 configuration. DVD-RW, floppy, 2x80gb WD Raptor 10k SATA drives connected to internal SAS controller in Raid-0 configuration. Creative Xi-Fi Platinum sound card, Nvidia Quadro 4600 gfx card. The 4 SAS drives are hot, and are right by the PSU, so possibly this is heating up the PSU more, and the System fan is following in sympathy?

Anyone got any clues? The noise is quite distracting!

Interestingly, the 490 I have does not exhibit these problems and is near silent, since I modified the memory fan by chopping the blades. Spec of the 490 is:-

Dell Precision 490, 8gb 533 ram, 2 x 5150 dual Xeons, 4 x 160gb WD Raptor 10k SATA drives, DVD-R, NVidia Quadro 4600 gfx card.

The 690 is not hot, even opening up the machine while running - no heat other than some from the psu area.

Any help greatly appreciated! 

21 Posts

April 27th, 2007 19:00

The 490 is also in Raid 10, and there is also another 400gb SATA 7200rpm drive in there (where the floppy used to be)

21 Posts

April 27th, 2007 22:00

Yes, everything is perfect inside. It is dead quiet when you boot it, with the hard drives themselves far louder than the fans - then after a while it just gets louder and louder.

It is now almost 1am, 10 deg Celsius so not warm....

Everest reports:-

Motherboard 30degC
CPU1/Core 1 - 38 degC  Core 2 39 degC  Core 3  34 degC  Core4  37 degC
CPU2/Core 1 - 42 degC  Core2 43 deg C  Core 3  39 degC  Core4  40 degC
Aux  28 deg C
GPU 53 deg C
SATA HDs 43 deg C

CPU fan: 228 rpm
System fan: 2377rpm (!!!!!!)
Chassis 225 rpm
PSU 1486rpm

Yesterday, before installing the 4600 gfx card, temps were identical, but the fan has increased about 500rpm

This should be obvious, but did you try blowing the heatsink fins with canned air? There may be something stuck in them causing it to overheat since you opened the case up?

My Precision 690 is also dead quiet, unless I open the case and leave the door off. Then the sensor for the fan kicks the fan into high gear and it sounds like a prop plane taking off. Have you check to make sure the internal shroud is installed properly for the correct air flow?

Message Edited by Sterling_Aug on 04-27-2007 06:23 PM

21 Posts

April 28th, 2007 05:00

Right. Have done some scientific monitoring over time under different loads.
There is nothing mechanically wrong with fans etc. The problem is clearly heat soak.

When you start the machine up, the system fan is at 1338 and the PSU fan at 774. Motherboard, Average Core, Aux, GPU and HD sensors are 23,33,23,46,27 deg C respectively. Running a heavy load, the fans went up to 2353rpm and 1455rpm respectively, with temps of 43,52,41,57,35 deg C respectively.

When all activity finished it settled down to 2042 and 1238rpm for the fans and 27,36,26,50,34 deg C respectively.

The only thing I can't monitor is the temp of the 4 SAS drives under the PSU.

The only correlation I can see is that PSU and SYS fans are roughly the same at a ratio of 1.65:1, so the SYS fan runs 1.65 times faster than the PSU fan. The PSU fan is increasing speed considerably, as it is getting hot - so this is either because of the load and/or the heat from the SAS drives.

It is probably a combination of both. Since adding the new gfx card, load has increased. I am going to try moving two of the SAS drives to the front of the case (where the the 2 SATA drives are) and may remove the SATA drives temporarily to see if that helps. I could also fit an additional extraction fan externally (like the one at the bottom of the case) to pull air away from the HDs.

Whatever EVEREST reports as the CPU Fan and CHASSIS Fans do not change at all. The CPUs are not getting hot at all. I will watch it for the rest of the day and see what happens to the temps as the weather warms up. It is early, and only 9 deg C outside, so see what it is like when it is double that temp later. The office is also a sun trap, so it does end up being more like 30 deg C in the room! It feels like it is about 15 degC in here right now

21 Posts

April 28th, 2007 05:00

Now ,here is an interesting point. Between switching the machine on, letting it do lots, then calming down, here is the difference in temperatures:-

Motherboard - 3 degC higher
Average CPU - 2 degC higher
Aux - 5 deg C higher
GPU - 10 deg C higher
Sys Fan -- 724 rpm higher
CPU Fan - 5 rpm lower
CHASSIS Fan - 8rpm lower
PSU Fan - 464 rpm higher

So basically, the temps are no different. The motherboard doesn't monitor GPU temp, and that has it's own fan anyway. Even though component temps have recovered, the sys and psu fans are still spinning more than 50% faster than when the machine first came one before it did any hard work.

I don't know what the Aux temp input is. Could be memory.

Plotting the results, the shapes are all very similar, except that the fans never recover whereas the temps do.
I'll move the drives about and see what happens

39 Posts

May 7th, 2007 12:00

Hi Tony,

I am planning in buying a Dell 690 with the same configuration as yours.

The only thing that has delayed my purchase is the need to research the noise issue. I have a Dell 650 and is so noisy that I don't want the same problem in my new machine.

Have you made any progress in your investigation?

Thanks,

Antonio

21 Posts

May 8th, 2007 17:00

Antonio - it is heat soak. I would advise not getting 15k drives. They are not much faster than the 10k raptor drives, which are far quieter and much cooler. Also, I have moved into a different cooler office, and that has made a huge difference. Really, I would ensure the room you run it in is cool, then the machine is quiet enough. The hard drives are now noisier than the fans!

39 Posts

May 8th, 2007 17:00

Hi Tony,

Very interesting.

By heat soak I believe you mean that if the room is hot, the system will need to operate the fans at faster speeds and will become noisier. Is this what you mean?

I could not agree more with this. It is in the summer, when my office gets north of 24 degrees Celsius, when I start thinking about the noise issue as a major one.

I am now installing a better air conditioning and that should help.

So can one conclude that a system like yours can operate at an acceptable noise level if the environment is reasonably cool?

At what temperature are you experiencing the decreased noise level?

Concerning the hard disks, I have now dual Xeon 3GHz with dual 15krpm in Raid 0 in my Dell 650. I was alway keen on the 15k disks because the performance is so good and thought that they are not meaningfully noisy, but never thought that they could contribute significantly to the heat issue.

Are the 10k rpm disks really not much worse in terms of performance and instead that much better in terms of quiteness and heat ?

Is the internal SAS/SATA card good enough or is it better to get a separate one?

Many thanks,

Antonio

21 Posts

May 9th, 2007 07:00

Hi Antonio.

I have 4 Hitachi 15k sas drives, 147gb each in a Raid-10 config (mirrored and striped) on an adaptec SAS controller. I have also got 2 WD Raptor 80gb drives in a Raid-0 config (striped) on the internal SAS controller. The transfer rates are virtually the same, the difference is the access time is slightly different, being about 2ms slower on the raptors. The 490 I have has got 4 WD Raptor 160 drivers with Native Command Queuing in RAID-10 on the internal controller, and it is just as fast as the 690. The 490 has got 2 dual core 2.66ghz  Xeons, where as the 690 has the quad cores. The 490 is virtually silent, the 690 drives are always doing something, especially under Vista!

I find it difficult to get a single application using all 8 cores on my machine, unless the app is totally cpu bound and not co-operating between cores and not allocating significant memory. It is easier to max out the quad core 490.

Probably the fastest/quietest config would be a 490 with 4 raptors in RAID-10, with a Quadro 4500 (the 3500 is very noisy, but can be quietened with a Zalmann kit), 2 dual core 3ghz Xeon 5160s and 667mhz ram. You CAN get 4 drives in a 490 by putting one below the floppy and the other in a 5 1/4" bay. I actually got 5 drives in my 490 by removing the floppy, and two custom grills at the front provide a bit more air flow.

In my new office, the 690 is running at almost half the fan speed, temp is around 18 degrees in the room.

39 Posts

May 10th, 2007 10:00

Tony,

As far as graphics card, I already have purchased the Nvidia Quadro NVS 440, with no fan and support for four monitors.

If you know this card your input is also appreciated. I do need four monitors. No gaming, no need for 3D, just 2D.

Thanks,

Antonio

39 Posts

May 10th, 2007 10:00

Hello Tony,

Thank you very much indeed for your helpful comments.

I was going to get a 690 with dual 5160 and 4 15k disks.

It looks like I am going to go for the 4 10k Raptors if the performance is so similar and they are quieter.

The last question, Wouldn't you go still for the 690 rather than the 490? In addition to the bigger room for further expansion, isn't the 690 supposed to be quieter than the 490 given the more room for easier cooling?

For Photoshop editing (very large images) and simultaneous MS Office work I believe that dual quad cores would not enhance performance and dual 5160s is better. Do you agree?

Regards,

Antonio

21 Posts

May 10th, 2007 13:00

I would get the 490 really if using 10k drives, but 15k drives, if you want more than two, then you need the 690 really. Also SLI graphics etc - the 690.

THere is no other obvious advantage to the 690 really. You can get 6 drives in there, but as mine shows, the heat issues just cause noise. I am looking at moving 4 of my drives out of the case, using the external SAS port on my Adaptec card to hook it up to an external case.

The other idea i had was to move the power supply out. Infact, someone on ebay is selling an empty 690 case - I thought of siting it next to the other one, put the power supply in the empty case, the drives in the other case and route the cables through! THen fit a couple of quiet extra fans and I reckon it would be much quieter :D

21 Posts

May 10th, 2007 13:00

The 490 is quieter once you chop the blades from the memory fan! The 690 cannot be called quiet under any circumstance really, but isn't bad considering. With 15k drives both machines will resonate their panels which can be reduced with a lot of sound deadening material (not the foam stuff, that will cause heat problems). The 690 case means there is a lot of fan noise despite running alot slower than the 490s fans.

The 490 is far quieter. The 380 is the quietest of all though!

The NVS440 is fine for what you are doing.

The Quadro FX4600 is AWESOME!

2.6K Posts

May 11th, 2007 18:00

http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/ You guys need to try this program out before snipping fan blades. It works in the 490 and now its about the same sound level as a 390.
No Events found!