Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2012 03:00

Precision 690 Freezing During Shutdown

Morning all

I have a Precision 690 tower that will randomly freeze at the "Shutting Down" screen (Win 7 Pro x64) requiring me to hold the power button until it turns off.

This has been annoying but not critical as aside from this, the machine performs flawlessly. The "critical" part started yesterday when I decided to change the array from mirrored to striped and reload the operating system.

Since then, Windows 7 will get as far as the "completing installation" stage and again freeze up (sometimes with a 0x00000124 blue screen error which, after googling, suggests a hardware fault - but nothing specific). I've tried a different CD (same thing), reseated RAM, video card and reset the BIOS to defaults.. no change.

A further Google shows that this isn't an unknown problem with these machines but very little in the way of a way to fix it so I'm hoping someone here has an idea as to what's going on.

Full spec of the machine:

1000W PSU

2x Xeon 3.0Ghz Dual Core CPUs

8GB ECC RAM (using the memory riser cards)

ATI Radeon HD5770 Video card

2x 500GB SATA HDD

IDE DVDRW

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 5th, 2012 04:00

Hi Kaiser2000,

Even without an OS, you can still boot to the Dell drivers and utilities disc and run the diagnostics. If you suspect a hardware issue, that's the place to start.

14.4K Posts

February 5th, 2012 06:00

is your windows disk SP1? IF not try removing all but 2 gig ram. Early versions of windows 7 before SP1 would not install with more than 2 gigs in the system. IF that does the trick you can reinstall the ram after you update to SP1

9 Posts

February 18th, 2012 03:00

Just to update this.. turned out it was a USB 3.0 controller card that had been installed in the system by the vendor I bought it from. Removed this and all OK - but it seems to work fine once Windows is up and running.

Cheers for the help!

March 28th, 2013 18:00

I have same freeze problem once I installed USB3.0 PCI Express card.  Have you found a solution other than removing the card?  Have you found some other solution for getting USB 3? I have Precision 690 running WIN 7 64bit.

No Events found!