Highlighted
daveleeuk
1 Copper

Precision 690 - Not Boot up - Lights 1, 3 & 4 (Solid)

Hi there, I tried to turn my computer on today and got nothing, there was clearly power going into the unit as the lights came on (1, 3 & 4; solid also a little green cylinder icon) as well as the power light (solid also) and the fans were on very loud.

So I tried unplugging everything and turning on again, but nothing.

I've tried many times but to no joy.

Last night before I turned it off, after working on a file and saving it a yellow pop up icon appeared saying 'Delayed Write Fail' or something along those lines. I dismissed it and it just kept popping up until I closed the relevant Application (Adobe Bridge & Photoshop). Could these two problems be connected?

I couldn't find anything on the troubleshooting for warning lights, 1, 3 & 4 is on there but only as flashing 😕

The monitors show nothing when it's switched on either, nothing at all.

I couldn't tell you detailed spec off the top of my head, but I know it has 8GB RAM, Windows XP64, 4x 250GB HDDs.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be really grateful, thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
fireberd
6 Indium

Re: Precision 690 - Not Boot up - Lights 1, 3 & 4 (Solid)

The symptoms you describe seem to relate to a hard drive problem.  As you have noted lights 1, 3, 4 and flashing power at power on is a power supply problem.  Lights 1, 3, 4 after the power on is a "normal" progression through the boot process and as it never gets any further, it suggests either a Video or  a hard drive problem.   Given the hard drive write issue you had originally, that too suggests a hard drive problem.

If this is under warranty, contact Dell so they can work on this further and if there is a hardware problem they will take care of it under warranty.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos