Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2012 03:00

Precision T1600 with two PCI-E graphic cards

Hello,

I have a Dell Precision T1600 with a AMD FirePro 2270 PCI Express graphics card. I wanted to add a second PCI Express graphics card (NVidia G210) in the second PCI Express slot. I expected to have some problems with this configurations in Windows 7, but instead the system doesn't even boot up. Right after powering on, I only get 4 orange diagnostic LEDs and the system won't move on or display anything. I tried switching the places of the graphic cards, but no difference.

Is there any possibility that this configuration will work? If not, is there an officialy supported configuration for two graphic cards on the T1600?

Thanks for your help,

Urs

3 Posts

March 26th, 2012 06:00

yes I know they are low end, but they suffice for my needs (development). I have the FirePro with 2 monitors, and want to add a 3rd monitor, that's why I wanted to use the GeForce. I'll look into whether those cards can be configured as secondary displays, there are some jumper settings.

48 Posts

March 26th, 2012 06:00

I'll be honest, neither of those cards are very great cards, both are very low end models. The reason that the cards aren't working together is probably because both want to take over as the primary display adapter but you can't have 2 primary adapters.

From what I can find you should be able to get 2 monitors from the one connection on the FirePro 2270. Unless you want to run 3 or 4 monitors, you shouldn't really need the GeForce 210.

December 4th, 2012 01:00

Did u get any update on this issue? I'm in the same trouble, with a Quadro 500FX and a Geforce GT640, the system stops on the startup with all four diag leds on.

3 Posts

December 4th, 2012 02:00

no, it seems it is simply not possible to mix graphic cards like this.

December 4th, 2012 23:00

DELL needs to address this issue because the system's specification clearly states that the system can run up to two PCI-E graphics card and since there was no limitation (beside the maximum wattage) in terms of card types or compatibility, i think that a BIOS update should be developed and released to fix the problem!

No Events found!