Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2009 14:00

Precision T3400 & 3 monitors

We recently purchased a new Precision T3400 running a NVS 290 video card.  We are attempting to have a 3-monitor setup using a spare PCI video card (ATI Radeon 7000).  Whenever we have the PCI-E (NVS 290) enabled in the BIOS as the primary video card, the PCI card will be deactivated by Windows with a "Device cannot start (Code 10)" error on the device.  Drivers provided by both Microsoft and ATI/AMD have been used and yet it constantly returns a Code 10.

I switched the BIOS over to use the PCI card as the primary video and it works, but only 50% of the time.  I can get all 3 monitors on at the same time when PCI is enabled as the primary in the BIOS, however the screen that runs off of that monitor (again regardless of drivers) can only run at 800x600 and 4 bit color.  Now, when I restart the computer the monitors running on the NVS 290 are disabled but the Radeon 7000 switchs over to 32 bit color and its native resolution.  I can see the other two monitors on the NVS 290 in the display dialog, however when accessing them to "Extend desktop to this monitor" I receive an warning saying my display drivers are not capatible with this version of Windows (XP) and it then removes those two monitors and they are no longer accessible, even after a restart.

I have updated all of the drivers; video, chipset, as well as the BIOS.  The workstation is running Windows XP and all installed drivers are built for XP.  Unfortunately Vista is not an option as much of the software we run is incompatible with Vista.

5 Posts

June 7th, 2010 12:00

I have the same problem mattyme. the NVS 290 w/splitter will not allow a third monitor as far as I can tell. I'm thinking that we need to buy a completely different graphics card with two vid outputs and use the board video.

5 Posts

June 7th, 2010 14:00

There is no board video on the T3400. Can anyone from dell please recommend a solution? Right now I am thinking that I need two new cards. One with duel outputs and one with one output.

No Events found!