Highlighted
w270
1 Nickel

Precision T3500 CPU / CHIPSET Temperature out of Range

I have a Dell Precision T3500 with a Quad Core Xeon that is shutting down due to the CPU / CHIPSET  Temperature Out of Range.  The fans seem to be working and the air ducts are clean, does anyone have any insight on what would cause this?                                                 

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Precision T3500 CPU / CHIPSET Temperature out of Range

Hi w270,

I suggest you to update the BIOS to the latest version and check. To update the BIOS follow the below mentioned steps: 

1. Visit the following website: http://dell.to/17F08dH

2. Enter the Service tag of the computer in the box provided and click “Submit”.

3. In the next page, click drop down arrow to select the Operating System which is installed in the computer.

4. Under category BIOS, click “Get driver” and save the file on desktop.

5. Run the file and restart the system.

Check the functionality of the system and post the results.

Thanks & Regards,
Nikhil D
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell Support videos click Here

0 Kudos
Madbadburt
1 Nickel

RE: Precision T3500 CPU / CHIPSET Temperature out of Range

Hi - I have a similar issue in that the large, low silver heat-sink in the middle(ish) of the motherboard is getting so hot that it hurts my finger to touch it... I was wondering if maybe someone had loaded various mismatched RAM sticks, causing this by possibly not adhering to the requirement for DDR3L memory?? unfortunately I don't have any CONFIRMED DDR3L Memory to test with to confirm or deny this, so I've just turned the PC off for the moment & put it in a cupboard as a "project for a rainy day" - but thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else could suggest whether I might be on the right track, as I can't find any information online as to what the component hidden under that silver heat-sink actually is, and whether mismatched memory could cause this?

the machine will boot eventually, after flashing red power button & numbers 1 & 3 on the front panel, after repeated attempts to turn it on... and once started, is stable for days / weeks / months, but I'm concerned that continuing to run the machine with ANY component this hot can't be a good thing & that I risk damaging it further by continuing to run it?

it is a Precision T3500, with a W3520 CPU @2.67 GHz and the CPU runs happily at sub 30 C with the original heat-piped cooler - so its not a CPU problem - some kind of chip-set issue I am presuming... but could have relevance I suspect to others here who are suffering stop errors due to overheating possibly?

I COULD strap a much larger, fan assisted cooler onto the hot component, but SOMETHING must not be right here & I'd appreciate any input as to whether it is likely to be worth investing in replacement RAM to **hopefully** put things right?!

thanks in anticipation of input from people here who are both cleverer than I, and more experienced with these workstations!!

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

RE: Precision T3500 CPU / CHIPSET Temperature out of Range

"flashing red power button & numbers 1 & 3 on the front panel" is BAD POWER SUPPLY.  Continued attempts to turn on will PERMANENTLY KILL The motherboard and CPU if you havent done this already.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln288786/precision-t3500-t5500-t7500-workstations-diag...

Pb10

1- Blink 2- Off 3- Blink 4- Off

PSU Failure

PSU may be bad or PSU cable may be crimped creating a short on a main power rail. (PS_ON asserted, PS_PWRGOOD not asserted)

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro