Bryanhandy
1 Copper

RE: Precision T3500 Processor Upgrade

I have a T3500 with a W3530 in it and I was wondering if I could put a W3680 in there or I need to get the W3690?

0 Kudos
chris wesney
1 Copper

The W3680 will work. I have the W3690 in mine with no problems. See this thread:

en.community.dell.com/.../19406351

0 Kudos
Mozartistic
2 Bronze

Just wanted to add, I have a T3500 and just went from a W3503 to an X5650 on the A17 BIOS and it works.  I couldn't be happier.

0 Kudos
bitpork
1 Copper

Sorry for dump up the old thread.

I have read inside out all the related article of T3500 cpu upgrade concerning x5650. Yet I am standing (sitting actually) here without any solid answer or solution. I dug out that all the t3500 mobos with A17 bios upgrade should have handle x5650. I bought such a core, before the change upgraded the BIOS (which was A11) yet the workstation won't even reach BIOS after the change. The x5650 is working in another Dell (T3500 and T5500). The old cpu (w3565) works like charm.

What I did:

-made the mobo "naked" -only vga+ram-> no bios, no boot

-tried another psu -> no bios, no boot

My mobo's ID 9KPNV. IS this whole thing means I should purchase another mobo with ID XPDFK?

BIOS Vendor                                   Dell Inc.

BIOS Version                                   A17

System Manufacturer                      Dell Inc.

System Product                               Precision WorkStation T3500

System Version                                

System Serial Number                     69P905J

System UUID                                   44454C4C-39001050-8039B6C0-4F30354A

Motherboard Manufacturer              Dell Inc.

Motherboard Product                       09KPNV

Motherboard Version                        A00

0 Kudos
arhannan
1 Copper

I believe it needs to be the newer XPDFK version of the motherboard for 36xx or 56xx series processors.  I don't believe those processors were not available at the time the 09KPNV motherboard was released and can only handle 35xx and 55xx series processors.

0 Kudos
bitpork
1 Copper

Thank You for the response!

I already found on the e-bay XPDFK mobo. My only concern is that I am from Hungary and the mobo is in the USA. And Yes it is used - in Germany the new one costs approx 260$, which is almost the price of my whole configuration 🙂

0 Kudos
Susquehannock
1 Copper

I know this is an older discussion.

Wanted to say that I am using a Xeon X5687 processor in 09kpnv (rev a00) to type this message. So I know that 56xx CPU are compatible. I believe newest BIOS (A17) is required.

0 Kudos
arhannan
1 Copper

Good to know.  Thanks for posting!

0 Kudos
bitpork
1 Copper

It is strange indeed. I also installed the  A17 bios still the x5650 stoning the system.

0 Kudos
arhannan
1 Copper

bitpork, what are the POST diagnostic lights doing on the front (the 1 2 3 4 )?  They could be an indicator of the problem before the BIOS screen even comes up. One possibility is that copy of the Mobo has an issue with the local DC-DC voltage converters for the Processor's I/O or Core Voltages (current capability) that are derived from the power supply's voltages.  If you see any bulged electrolytic capacitors around the processor, that could be the issue.  An increase in current demand on a failing DC-DC circuit may prevent the processor from even coming up.  There is a site dedicated to "badcaps".  The Dell Optiplex GX270 is notorious for failing for having bad caps around the processor.  I haven't run across a Precision series with bad caps though. Hope that helps.

0 Kudos