varmatev
1 Nickel

RE: Precision T3500 and PCIe x16 graphics card, Windows 10 x64bit

Thank you for checking.

By the way, is the compatibility list you are looking at available to general public? If yes, what is the URL?

0 Kudos
varmatev
1 Nickel

Thank you for information.

I am not trying to use two graphics cards at this point though, so your answer is somewhat irrelevant.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

The compatability is based on my T3500.  Non UEFI cards like the 750TI or 950 or 960 or 980 work fine but only 1 card.

I have a T3400 and a T3500

I have 2 Radeon 5770 cards and I have 2 GTX 960 cards.

Only the Dual 5770's work.

Most newer R series cards do not support DOS VESA Mode 103 so you can never ever get F2 into bios again if you have one of these UEFI cards.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
varmatev
1 Nickel

Hi SpeedStep,

My question about compatibility list was addressed to DELL-Alasdair R, as he mentioned that "the X5690 is listed as compatible too (it must have been added after publication of the spec sheet)". This was about CPUs, not graphics cards. So, I wanted to find out what list he is looking at and if I can see that same list.

Again, I am not trying to run two graphics cards, and what you have on your T3500 is not really the point here.

I have Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti that works fine in the black PCIe x16 slot, but not in the blue PCIe x16 slot and I want to know why. If it is a UEFI graphics card that I cannot use with Precision T3500, then how come it works in the black PCIe x16 slot?

Besides, I see youtube videos about Nvidia GTX 10 series graphics card working fine with T3500.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

There is no "list" with X5690 or any other processor as an upgrade. Dell only supports what came with the unit. There are various Versions and Revisions of the T3500 motherboard and Copper and Aluminum heatsinks.  They are not interchangeable.  

Later revisions of the spec say

Chipset Intel X58

Processors Intel® Xeon® 5600 series processors up to six-cores with up to 6.4GT/s (Intel QuickPath Interconnect) and up to 12MB shared cache.

DELL DPN: XPDFK Precision Workstation T3500 Motherboard

Supported Processors:

Intel Xeon 6-Core (X5670, X5650)

Intel Xeon Quad Core (W3550, W3565, W3530, E5640, E5630, E5507),

Intel Xeon Dual Core (W3505, W3503),

Intel Xeon (W3680)

The Original spec sheet says

http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/Dell-Precision-T3500-Spec...

The Late 2010 Spec sheet says.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/precn/en/q2wk6_dell_precision_t3500_spec_sheet.pdf

There are at least 3 versions of the board and within familys there are more than one Revision.

heatsink P/N U016F (w/ heatpipes) needed to support higher TDP 

People also use a fan tied with Tie Wraps on the heatsink to get better cooling.

U016F Heatsink

SLBVX

K095G

XPDFK

9KPNV

A17 bios is here

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01514371M/1/T3500A17.exe

here

0 Kudos
varmatev
1 Nickel

Ok, Speedstep, thank you for details.

I mentioned earlier that my T3500 has Dell 9KPNV motherboard.

I guess  DELL-Alasdair R was looking at that second spec sheet when he said that X5690 CPU should work, as it belongs to X5600 series.

And in regards to the main graphics card question: I will inspect the pins and try Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 SC Gaming in the blue slot, unless you can tell me why GTX 1050 Ti works fine in the black PCIe x16 slot and does not work in the blue slot.

0 Kudos

I don't have a list as such, only access to the parts database (sorry, I can't share this)

If a part is listed against a model number in the database it means it shipped with that model of system and is therefore supported.

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 10am-5pm GMT (BST)

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Other than the slot being bad or the card not going all the way down into the slot i see no reason why it should not work fine in either slot.

AFAIKT only the XPDFK board works with the newer spec.

Chris M might have insight on which processors were validated with which version of the board.

The black slot is not wired X16 so there may also be a slot power problem where it tries to draw too much power.   PCI-E 1.0 and 2.0 have lower speed and power output than PCI-E 2.1 and 3.0.

If you don't have the original 525W power supply the other issue may be that the power supply DOES NOT HAVE enough power on the 3.3v /5v rails.   Dell has 150 to 225w combined on these rails.

Many off brand units are lacking in this area.

EVGA 750B1 works fine but B2 BQ G2 does not for this exact reason.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Modular-Warranty-110-B1-0750-VR/dp/B00K85X23O

here

0 Kudos
varmatev
1 Nickel

Thank you for information.

I have the original 525W power supply, and Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti can take max 75W and does not have an additional power connector, while GTX 1060 SC Gaming that I am going to try is 120W and has a 6-pin power connector, that is also available on the power supply.

At the link below they have approved Intel X5690 for the Dell 9KPNV motherboard:

www.game-debate.com/.../index.php

I will post back after I inspect the blue slot and try GTX 1060 SC graphics card.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Make sure to update the bios BEFORE trying to change the CPU. Otherwise its going to be a headache putting old cpu back.

Its also helpful for future users if this works to post back the S spec of the cpu part, the bios version, and the motherboard part number.

Copper heatsink is recommended.

Part Number(s): U016F/ 0U016FHeatsink Assembly for Primary CPU, Performance

Category: Internal Parts and assemblies
Sub Category: Cooling Fans/ Heatsinks
Notes: HTSNK, CPU, PRI, PRF
Part Number U016F/ 0U016F compatible with the following Dell Models:

Precision T3500, Precision T5500, Precision Workstation T3500, Precision Workstation T5500, T3500 WORKSTATION, T5500 WORKSTATION

Some also add secondary fan.

here

0 Kudos