Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

September 10th, 2016 15:00

Precision T3500 does not power up

I have a Precision T3500 that just started not powering on. I went on vacation for about a week, powering down the system before leaving, where it was normally on 7/24 and working fine. Upon my return, when I tried to power the system back on, pushing the button had no effect. Upon opening the case, I noted that the amber led on the motherboard was lit and I saw the ethernet jack showing activity. Which is the most likely to be the culprit, the power supply or the motherboard?

Thanks

Dave Frandin.

September 11th, 2016 21:00

Hi dgfrandin

Thanks for writing to us.

The issue some times may be just the static charge as well, disconnect the power cable, and all peripherals and hold down the power button for 10 secs. then plug back everything and power on.

If still the same, remove the memory  modules and then try with one at a time. let us know how it goes.

Do provide us your system tag#, email address and name via private message,by clicking on my name in blue and then select send a private message

Regards

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 12th, 2016 12:00

LED on motherboard DOES NOT indicate that power supply is ok it only indicates that power is available from 5VSB.   Most common issue in this case is that the power supply has failed,  Unfortunately the only way to tell is to replace the power supply.

http://www.serversupply.com/products/part_search/pid_search.asp?pid=136422

You don't have to use a Dell Power supply but for testing this is the recommended supply. 

Its a lot more complicated to remove all the cables and use a standard supply than it is to remove one cable from the dell unit and swap a new one in.

19 Posts

September 14th, 2016 09:00

Ok.. Thanks.. I have a replacement power supply on the way..

19 Posts

September 16th, 2016 09:00

Recieved good/tested Dell powersupply, powersupply did not fix problem. Ordered a replacement motherboard...

19 Posts

September 17th, 2016 19:00

Replaced motherboard, problem solved...

No Events found!