Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 5th, 2017 08:00

Precision T3600, BIOS Update issue

I have done a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on a Precision 3600 and everything works great except the bios will not update. I have tried by just installing the file, using Dell precision optimizer, and all gets stuck on the restart phase. Is there any suggestion on getting the PC to update the BIOS ?

Thank you.

3 Posts

July 7th, 2017 11:00

I ran the Intel tool and my configuration is not vulnerable so I am running on A14 until needed. thank you for your assistance.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 5th, 2017 09:00

What BIOS version is currently installed? What BIOS version are you trying to install? You should install them in order, oldest to newest.

Note, I only update the BIOS to fix a specific issue. I never update the BIOS just because there is a new one listed.

Desktop Instructions =
- Disconnect all peripherals from the desktop except for monitor, mouse, and keyboard
- Close all unnecessary applications
- Download the BIOS to the windows desktop
- Run the BIOS
- You must allow the BIOS itself to restart the computer. Do NOT force a restart manually. This could break the motherboard

3 Posts

July 5th, 2017 09:00

current BIOS version A14 is installed and I am trying to install A15. I did do the steps you have listed and still gets stuck on restarting when the BIOS itself does the restart.

307 Posts

July 6th, 2017 07:00

I don't think this answer is helpful. I am also reluctant to install a new BIOS, but there is a security issue and Dell deems it significant enough to issue a BIOS update. In fact, the Importance of this BIOS update is labeled as Urgent.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 6th, 2017 07:00

I am always reluctant to install a BIOS. Because a failed BIOS install will break the motherboard. A15 only addressed the security advisory CVE-2017-5689 / INTEL-SA-00075. Use the INTEL-SA-00075 Detection and Mitigation Tool. If the result is that your system is not at risk, I would not worry about installing A15.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 6th, 2017 13:00

I get the labeling, but until you actually run the risk the Tool, you do not know if the flaw is part of your specific configuration or not. Your call. As to why 15 will not install on your system, no idea. Something in the Windows 10 operating system is stopping it. There is nothing in the hardware that would stop it. Did you right click the file and run it as an Admin? It says it can be run from a MS-DOS environment. You might try that.

Run the BIOS update utility from DOS environment (Non-Windows users)
1. Copy the downloaded file to a bootable DOS USB key.
2. Power on the system, then Press F12 key and Select "USB Storage Device" and Boot to DOS prompt.
3. Run the file by typing copied file name where the executable is located.
4. DOS System will auto restart and update BIOS while system startup screen.
5. After BIOS update finished, system will auto reboot to take effect.

No Events found!