Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2015 09:00

Precision T7500 Fan issues

I am trying to resolve a fan issue on a Precision t7500 workstataion that my boss delegated to me. It's a brokered machine, so I am apparently unable to get/purchase ANY support from Dell. That took 4 hours on the phone to find out, but I'm over it and here we are :)

The issue is that the fans are running full bore 100% of the time. If you're familiar with these workstations, you know that this is pretty darn noisy! This machine runs like an absolute dream and passes every diagnostic with flying colors. It never overheats. The BIOS has been flashed to the newest version and has been reset numerous times. The general consensus is that there's a bad environmental sensor. Does anyone have any ideas on if this is probably or if this part can be ordered?

I'm having a very difficult time finding a parts list for this machine. Does this part share with other Precision workstations? We have numerous series of Precisions here, but this is the only t7500.

Thank you everyone for your help! Have a great day!

-Jeff

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 11th, 2015 08:00

The parts list only mentions one sensor =
M199P Temperature Sensor with protective cover
But it is just a SAS to SATA converter cable. I do not see any other sensor in the tear down.

5 Posts

March 11th, 2015 08:00

I am not optimistic.

5 Posts

March 11th, 2015 09:00

Do you have any ideas on what the issue could be? At this point, it seems that only the motherboard could be the culprit. Again, it's been flashed with the most current BIOS and has been reset a couple times.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

In the training documentation, there is no mention of "environmental sensor".

5 Posts

Thank you for your response. In my journey through the rabbit hole that is The Google, I recall seeing a few mentions of generic "Environmental Sensors" that could be reporting temperature incorrectly.

Also, any other ideas on the issue are greatly appreciated!

5.2K Posts

At one time, the temperature sensors were supposedly located on the fans themselves. Perhaps Chris-M could help on that.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 11th, 2015 10:00

T133N Hard drive fan
WN845 CPU fan
F406N Memory fan

5 Posts

March 11th, 2015 10:00

Excellent! Is it correct to assume that the only temperature monitoring is done by the fans? I am having an extremely difficult time finding ANY documentation for a parts list on this unit.

No Events found!