Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2015 19:00

Precision t7500 fail due to thermal event

Hi All,

I am having start up trouble with my Precision t7500. 

When I start the computer the power button remains amber and the computers fans continue to speed up until maxed out. The Diagnostic lights continue to flash numbers 2,3 &4 and the computer will not boot.

There has been one occasion were I was able to reach the system start up and run a diagnostic. The initial feedback gave an Alert: Failure due to thermal event.

I then proceeded to run further diagnostics but the computer shut itself down mid way.

I have read some posts regarding loose heat sinks and dust build up.

I have opened the case and removed as much dust as possible. I have also read about dust build up around the chip set and processor. I will open it up again and clean again.

Can someone please advise me on possible solution. None of the post I have read so far refer to the T7500 or mention issues with the increased fan rpm at start up. I will clean the chip set and processor when I get home but could do with some advice locating all the parts and cleaning properly.  Any advice in regards to locating and checking the heat sinks would be great also. I have the service manual and have collected as much literature as I can find so far, any further leads will be greatly appreciated.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 3rd, 2015 10:00

Solid Amber = Second state of the LED at power up. Indicates the POWER_GOOD signal is active and it is probable that the power supply is fine.

Pre-POST Blinking 2/3/4 = This error can be caused by a poorly seated CPU/Memory Riser.

4 Posts

February 3rd, 2015 16:00

Thanks Chris,

Any suggestions on how the seating of the CPU/Memory Riser would suddenly change after 3 yrs. It has been located in the same position for almost a yr with any major shifts.

Any clues as to how this would cause a thermal event or the increase in fan rpm at start up.

How would I go about assessing the position of the CPU and requisitioning it ?

Thanks again 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 4th, 2015 05:00

The thermal paste may have dried up allowing space between the CPU/heatsink and the motherboard. You should remove them, clean the old paste, apply new thermal paste.

4 Posts

February 4th, 2015 16:00

Thanks Chris,

The diagnostic readings:

suggest that the computer is failing before the BIOS hand off.

Would bad thermal transfer between the CPU heat spreader and heat sink caused by dry thermal paste cause an issue like this.  Even if this is causing overheating would it not cool down enough after enough inactivity to at least boot up and progress through the BIOS stage.

Does this combination of diagnostic feedback possibly suggest a problem with the motherboard or BIOS, if so is it possible to obtain replacement motherboard and bios components ? DO they still manufacture them ?

2 Posts

June 4th, 2015 19:00

I'm having the same problem with a T7500. Does anyone have a solution?

2 Posts

June 5th, 2015 19:00

That's probably what I'll have to do, Thanks

4 Posts

June 5th, 2015 19:00

I had to replace the motherboard. I was lucky enough to find a replacement. Pain to put in. Otherwise your looking at salvaging the best parts and building a new rig.

No Events found!