Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 26th, 2010 14:00

Primary IDE channel driver needed for upgrade of Dell Dimension 8100 to Windows7

During setup for Windows7 installation, I get the message that it cannot install to drive 0 (or any other) until I upload a new primary IDE channel driver.  I've looked through all of the Dell disks and cannot find it.  A search on the internet for primary IDE channel drivers left me very confused.  Can anyone tell me what to download and from where?

2.8K Posts

January 26th, 2010 17:00

jtburch,
Do you have an internal Zip drive in that system?

8 Posts

January 27th, 2010 07:00

No.  I do have a USB Zip drive but no internal Zip drive.  Also a floppy disk drive plus two cd/dvd drives.  I have a C: hard drive, a D: external hard drive and an I: external hard drive.

In my efforts to "fix" the problem, I loaded one driver which reformated my D: external drive.  I was able to recover with Carbonite and the D: drive is working just fine (as are all), but I do notice one difference when I attempt to load Windows7.  Where it used to show potential disks 0 (C:), 1 (D:) and 2 (I:), it now only gives me choices of C: and I:  It still gives me the "cannot install Windows7 on drive 0 or drive 1 until you load the primary IDE channel driver."

2.8K Posts

January 27th, 2010 08:00

OK. If you haven't done so already unplug all the external hard drives (and any other peripherals you have) before you boot to the Windows 7 disc to begin setup. I've run into issues with the Dimension 8100 where Windows XP would try to install on a drive other than the actual master hard drive if one was installed or connected. The same may be occurring with 7. I don't know if you noticed the capacity of the drive Win 7 was attempting to install on but if it's different than the size of the actual C drive in your system then that's what's going on. It's odd that you're being asked to install a new primary IDE channel driver because there really should be no need for one. Windows 7 has native support for the IDE bus and there's nothing odd about the IDE interface on the Dimension 8100 motherboard.

8 Posts

January 27th, 2010 14:00

Unplugged all external drives with no effect.  I got the same "no can do" and to "load primary IDE channel driver"

Could you tell me where to download a primary IDE channel driver?  Maybe I could just upload that to the program and get on with it.

2.8K Posts

January 27th, 2010 16:00

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be as simple as finding some generic primary IDE channel driver on the internet to download and use. After researching this issue further it appears most people who have experienced it were using RC (release candidate) versions of Windows 7 that they downloaded as .ISO files and burned to DVD media & had motherboards for which the OS builds they were attempting to install didn't have core driver support for. So the question for you then becomes are you using a version of Windows 7 that isn't the final release (gold) version? If so that likely explains this entire problem.

Did you ever run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor before you attempted to install 7? If not you should do so and see if it flags your motherboard as having a compatibility issue. It should display the brand and/or model of the mobo in your Dimension 8100.

8 Posts

January 27th, 2010 20:00

My copy of Windows7 is the Windows7 Professional, right out of the box from Office Depot.  Looking at the fine print, it says "upgrade for Windows Vista".  I currently have Windows XP, but selected the "clean load" option after backing all of my files.  I did run the Windows7 upgrade advisor with no flags on "Primary IDE Channel".  It did say that my current graphics adapter would not support "Windows Aero Support"; my 3com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller needs to be updated and Virtualization Technology not supported..  I was advised that my SoundBlaster Live was incompatible, but I ws going to solve that after updating Windows.  My initial upgrade advisor run indicated that I needed to make room on my C: drive.  I did that and ran it again.  The only outstanding issue was the Soundblaster Live incompatibility.  Because I have XP, it indicated that I needed to do a Custom Installation (clean load)..  The top of the report lists "Operating System = Windows XP Professional; CPU = Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 1300 MHz; Memory = 2.0 GB"  Not on the report, but my computer is a Dell Dimension 8100 which came with a Maxtor 5T060H6 hard drive.  It has an old floppy disk drive which I forget is installed.   I added as an internal second hard drive a WDC3200JB -00FAC.  I added as a third hard drive,external, a WDC WD1600BB-22GUCD USB Device, I also have an IOMEGA ZIP 250 USB Device.  There have been no disk drive problems.  When I first ran the Windows Advisor and got the "primary IDE channel drive" flag, I downloaded a hard drive driver from the Western hard drive site..  It installed and surprised me by having to be reformatted.  Fortunately, I had Carbonite and restored my files perfectly.  Before that driver installation, the Windows7 setup recognized all three hard drives.  After the driver installation, everything wtill works perfectly, but the Windows7 setup program only recognizes my 60 gb C: drive and my external 160 gb I: drive and they were the only choices I had for upgrade.  I had cleaned out space on the C: drive to accommodate it, but really planed to install it on the 320 gb D: drive. Now, if I can just get it on my C: drive, I'll be satisfied.  The Windows7 setup gives the "Primary IDE channel driver needed" for all three drives (now only recognizing C: & I:)

2.8K Posts

January 27th, 2010 22:00

OK, some of the comments in your last post appear contradictory and seem to make this situation more confusing than it needs to be. For instance, you say you ran the Windows 7 upgrade advisor "with no flags on the Primary IDE Channel" then later you say that when you first ran the Windows 7 upgrade advisor you got the "primary IDE channel drive flag" so you downloaded a hard drive driver (I'm curious to know just what this file actually was even though it may ultimately prove inconsequential) which resulted in the second hard drive you installed getting reformatted. Do you see why this is unclear? For now let's work on the assumption that you really did get a compatibility issue warning for the primary IDE channel driver when you ran the Windows 7 upgrade advisor. Do you remember exactly what the upgrade advisor reported about that device?

On another front, you mentioned that you "had cleaned out space on the C: drive to accommodate it, but really planned to install it on the 320 gb D: drive." I assume that by "cleaned out space on the C: drive" you mean you transferred personal data off of that drive, uninstalled some unneeded/unused applications, ran Disk Cleanup to free up space where temporary files were located, etc. so that you could do an “In-Place Upgrade” installation of Windows 7 Professional. Based on the fact that you currently have Windows XP Pro installed on your 8100 there's something you should know about this type of "upgrade" installation. According to the official Microsoft Windows 7 upgrade chart you can't upgrade from XP Pro to Win 7 Pro by installing Win 7 Pro on top of XP Pro. Instead you have to do what Microsoft refers to as a "Custom Install" (also known as a “clean install”), which means you have to format the C: drive then install Win 7 Pro on the blank hard drive, after which you have to reinstall your existing files, settings & programs. You can only do the "In-Place Upgrade" type of Windows 7 installation if you're running Vista and even then each version of Vista can only successfully be upgraded to certain versions of Windows 7 without having to do a custom install. Have a look at the chart.

8 Posts

January 28th, 2010 08:00

Appreciate your patience.  Sorry if I have confused you.  First, there is the Windows7 Upgrade Advisor and there is the beginning of the Windows7 Setup program.  The Advisor gave all of the notices that I included with my last post, but NO FLAGS on Primary IDE Channel driver.  Each time I began SETUP for installation of Windows7, I get the flag telling me that Windows7 cannot be installed on any of my hard drives still showing until I upload the driver (the second internal 360gb drive no longer showing in the Setup choices for installation, but working just fine) .  Each time during Setup, I have selected the CUSTOM INSTALL because I have XP and cannot directly install Windows7 (as your chart says).  Thus the warnings about saving files because it will be a CLEAN UPGRADE, wiping out any files and programs installed currently on the disk chosen for upgrade. (I used the suggested Microsoft Windows Easy Transfer program and all saved files are on my I: drive awaiting recall after installation of Windows7.  I also listed all programs on the C: drive which will be wiped with the clean install and verified that I have the disks or internet location to restore them.)

I wish that I could tell you what the hard drive driver was, it doesn't seem to be in my downloaded program file.  Regardless, it did not change my upgrade problem and left me with exactly the same workability (only now the Windows7 Setup does not recognize that drive).  I believe that the reason I don't know exactly what the file was is that in my desperation, I used Paretologic DriverCure to scan my drivers and download and install "an updated driver".  I got no warning that it would require reformatting and was saved from my folly by Carbonite.  I really recommend Carbonite and do not recommend Paretologic DriverCure.

When I cleaned up space on the C: drive in preparation for installation of Windows7, it was in response to the initial Advisor note that I had insufficient space for installation on C: drive.  I opened up 26gb for it.  As you surmised, the files (mostly pictures) were transferred to my I: Drive which serves as my backup disk.  When I again had the IDE flag (all drives) on Setup, I tried the driver for the D: drive.  I had plenty of space on it and hoped that the IDE flag would go away, but it did not.

By the way, I Googled the problem I'm having and found a similar thread of a number of folks with the same Primary IDE Channel driver problem when trying to upgrade to Windows7 at: http://www.anetforums.com/posts.aspx?ThreadIndex=60403  They have so far not found a solution either.

I think, to this point, as far as following upgrade instructions go, I have done the right things.  If it just needs (for whatever peculiar Microsoft reason) the driver, how can I determine which driver and where can I find it.  If I can download that driver and put it in a safe file (that won't install and wipe me out again) and offer it to Setup, maybe I can upgrade.

2.8K Posts

January 28th, 2010 10:00

I see. You used the same upgrade advisor terminology to refer to the actual Windows 7 upgrade advisor and Windows 7 setup, which is why part of your last post was confusing. I still think your issue is probably being caused by the way you're attempting to install Windows 7 rather than there actually being a Primary IDE Channel driver that needs to be installed. Unless I'm misunderstanding you what you did was free up 26 GB of space on your C: drive then ran the Win 7 DVD from within XP Pro & chose the custom install option without formatting the hard disk. Is this correct? If so this I'm pretty sure this method will not work because it's still technically an “In-Place Upgrade” type of installation and (according to the Microsoft chart) no version of Windows XP can be upgraded to any version of Windows 7 like this. Instead you'll need to choose the custom install option but format the hard disk so that Win 7 truly installs on a "clean" (blank) partition.

Now I'm not absolutely certain this will work but it should based on documentation about how the XP to Vista migration path is supposed to work. Since you apparently have all of your important data backed up to the external hard drive or your D: drive already you have nothing to lose by trying it.

8 Posts

January 28th, 2010 21:00

What you recommended may be a solution, but let me quote the "Perform a Custom Installation of Windows 7" paragraph from the "Upgrading From Windows XP to Windows 7", page 7:  This is the procedure I followed closely:

"1. With your PC on and Windows XP running, do one of the following:

* If you have a Windows 7 installation disc, insert the disc into your computer.  Setup should start automaticallyi.  If it doesn't, click Start, click My Computer, open the Windows 7 installation disc on your DVD drive, and then double-click setup.exe.

2. On the install Windows page, click Install now.

3. On the Get important kupdates for installation page, we recommend getting the latest updates to help ensure a successful installation, and to help protect your computer against security threats.  Your computer will need to be connected to the internet during Windows 7 installaltion to get these updates.

4. On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next.

5. On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.

6. Choose the partition containing Windows XP (this is often the computer's C: drive), and then click Next.  (Do not select your external USB hard drive) [WHICH PROBABLY EXPLAINS WHY IT NO LONGER SHOWS UP THERE AS A CHOICE.]

7. In the Windows.Old dialog box, clkck OK

[I NEVER GOT THIS FAR BECAUSE OF THE FLAG ON LOADING THE PRIMARY IDE CHANNEL DRIVER.   HOWEVER... YOUR ADVICE FORCED ME TO FINALLY REALLY READ THE FINE PRINT OF THIS TUTORIAL ON UPGRADING XP TO WINDOWS7.  A KEY PARAGRAPH BEGINS WITH "TROUBLESHOOTING INSTALLATION PROBLEMS."  IT READS:]

TROUBLESHOOTING INSTALLATION PROBLEMS:

"If an eror message states that Windows can't be installed to the partion you chose, and Show Details reveals a dialog box that says, "Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS," then your computer's hard disk is likely formatted using the older FAT32 file system.

[NOTE: THIS IS NOT THE ERROR MESSAGE I GET, IN FACT, I AM PRETTY SURE THAT I CONVERTED TO THE LATER FILE SYSTEM SOME TIME AGO.  WOULD IT BE WORTH TRYING THIS BEFORE I DO SOMETHING AS DRASTIC AS CLEANING OFF MY C: DRIVE?]

2.8K Posts

January 29th, 2010 17:00

I've read the Microsoft custom installation guide for upgrading from XP to Windows 7 as well as custom installation guides on a number of independent web sites. If your 8100 shipped with Windows ME originally installed on the hard drive and you later upgraded to XP Pro then it's quite possible that drive C: is still formatted FAT32. You can easily check by having a look at the drive properties in My Computer. If it is FAT32 I'd definitely try converting the file system to NTFS then attempt to custom install Win 7 again to see if it works (despite the fact that the message you get isn't the same as the one in the troubleshooting section of the guide). If it doesn't then you're back to the formatting drive C: option.

8 Posts

February 4th, 2010 08:00

Took a few days breather.  Can only stand computer problems for so long and had numerous computer jobs to crank out.

I finally found an indication of file type using third-party software (ATI Catylyst Control Center)... I never did find it through "My Computer".  It indicates that all hard drives ARE NTFS.  Before I take the (sounds like) drastic step of reformating my C: drive, did any other solutions pop up since our last exchange?  Does Dell or Microsoft have any solutions? (This problem must have surfaced hundreds of times by now.)  What, for example, will the W7 UPGRADE software do with a clean drive when it is expecting Vista or XP?  Will the computer even boot up with just the Windows7 upgrade disk?

2.8K Posts

February 5th, 2010 16:00

I understand the need to take a break from this stuff occasionally. I'm getting ready to start a new IT job at a medical school here on Monday so I'll be hip deep in computer issues for a good while.

Since you've determined drive C: is NTFS I think we can move away from the file system being the reason you're being prompted for a Primary IDE channel driver. Given that the Windows 7 upgrade media gives the option of doing a custom install by formatting the hard disk I should think it would be able to complete the installation since the setup program would have already confirmed you had Windows XP due to the fact that the upgrade was started by running the Win 7 disc from within Windows XP.

8 Posts

February 11th, 2010 18:00

One last thing I tried was to update the BIOS from B02 to B09.  Again tried the W7 upgrade with the same results... it is still looking for the Primary IDE Channel rider.  Then I finally made the decision to go ahead, cut the limb off behind me and format the C: drive in readiness for a normal upgrade to a clean drive.  I clicked the "run" command, told it to "format C: drive" and it first told me that I needed to dismount the drive.  When I answered "Y" to that, it tried to dismount it, told me it was busy and could not dismount it.  If you think I should still aim toward reformatting the C: drive, how do I get it to unmount?

If we get it formatted and then the W7 disk will not boot, I've got an older XP disk (don't know where the most up to date one went) so hopefully I can recover if needed.

2.8K Posts

February 13th, 2010 19:00

The dismount message appeared because you attempted to format drive C: from within Windows, so you are using the drive you're attempting to format. This is what caused Windows to display the message that the drive is busy. A mounted drive in Windows is any active hard drive and the error occurs if you try to format the drive Windows is installed on while in Windows. You'll need to boot to the Win 7 disc and run setup from there to successfully format the C: drive.

No Events found!