Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 26th, 2014 02:00

Problem Cloning Hard Drive On A Dell Optiplex 755

Hello I have the Dell 755 OptiPlex large Tower. It had a small 250 Gb hard drive and I put a 1000 Gb hard drive in and loaded windows 7. The computer will not boot into the new hard drive, I have tried everything, including taking out the battery for a an hour or so, updating the bios to the A22 what ever is the latest Bios, I have checked all the Bios settings and from what I know it all looks good. I have tried changing the pin settings on the drive and so on. Tried boot order in different orders and so on. If I put the old hard drive back in, it will boot just fine, the only problem is that hard drive keeps saying it is going to fail. It's a Maxtor. The one hard drive I'm trying to install is the green 1 Tb western Digital Green Power. I have built several computers and installed a many operating systems and have never ran into this problem. It did belong to a business I bought it from. Is it possible it has some pin settings on the board for like maybe raid or something I'm missing? I'm at a loss. I have no external usb's plugged in except for a mouse and standard keyboard. No extra cards are installed at this time. Everything is standard across the board as far as I know. I have also tried cloning the Hard Drive with Bios set at Raid AutoDetect / ATA and it will not boot. Like I said though I can put the old hard drive in and it boots just fine with windows 7 ultimate 32 bit. Also I would like to clarify that I did remove the 250 Gb Maxtor when I loaded the new operating system on the 1 Tb westrn Digital Green. It would not boot. I then reinstalled the Maxtor and tried cloning it to the western digital 1 tb hard drve and it failed saying could not read sectors. I used the software free from easeus to do back up home 6.1 version trial. Can anyone give me some advice please. Thank You in advance. Robb

12 Posts

May 29th, 2014 04:00

Wanted to let everyone know that my problem was solved. I had loaded Windows 7 Professional and flashed the Bios to A22, then I bought Acronis from E-Bay for $40.00 Acronis Home Edition with 3 licenses. Installed it on the failing hard drive and cloned it over to the new 1 Tb hard drive. It all worked just fine. Thanks to everyone who read and commented on the post. Robb
No Events found!