Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2008 17:00

Problem Starting My computer

I have a dell xps 600 and have had no problems with it until now. Whenever I try to start my computer it remains unresponsive with the power light solid green. Upon starting in beeps.

Help!

14.4K Posts

December 2nd, 2008 18:00

JacquesF

Welcome to the Dell forums.

Your problem can be either a component or motherboard issue or just a seating issue. It is important that you pay attention to the Beep codes as well as looking at the diagnostic lights on the computer.

You can find these beep codes and Diagnostic light codes HERE

Take a look and report back and we can provide some more insight

2 Posts

December 2nd, 2008 18:00

For some reason it stopped beeping but the problem remains. the lights are all on except for the #2 light. Still unresponsive to any mouse or keyboard activity (I tried using a different mouse but nothing)

14.4K Posts

December 3rd, 2008 13:00

when the system posts all lights should be out. During the posting the lights are random. Are you getting to the desktop?

If all the your lights are like you say then I would first suggest you open the case and remove and reseat all the cards, and the ram sticks. See if that helps.

Do you see the big Dell screen when you press the power button?

Your issue is leaning towards a motherboard but further testing is needed.

so here's what you need to do if the system still acts the same after you try reseating all the cards and ram

Start by pulling all the stuff out of the system and pull the power connections to the harddrive(s) and optical(s). This will just leave the motherboard,cpu and power supply. Press the power button.

1.Note the color and condition of the power button

2. Listen to see if the fans spin up

3. Note the diagnostic lights.

4. Listen for any beeps

Report back.

No Events found!