Offshore Atty
1 Copper

Problem with ATI Radeon 4850 on New XPS430

I just took delivery today of a new XPS 430 64-bit with the ATI Radeon 4850 dual DVI.  Almost from the moment I took it out of the box, I experienced a fundamental problem.  When the computer boots up, at some point during the boot-up process, the monitor turns black and then says that no signal is emanating from the display card.  I have isolated the problem to the ATI Radeon 4850 software update contained on the Dell website.  This same software also uploads automatically with Windows updates.  Prior to the update, the monitor will run on a very primitive resolution as a "Standard VGA" driver.  But once the ATI Radeon 4850 driver gets installed, I get the black screen of death (actually, the hard drive is still running, but I might as well be a blind man reading a newspaper).

Has anyone else experienced similar issues?  I have placed several calls to Dell tech support; while they are friendly, they are as surprised as I am to learn that the computer out of the box from the factory does not work.

The monitor is a Dell widescreen 24" monitor that came with the PC.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
8 Krypton

Re: Problem with ATI Radeon 4850 on New XPS430

Welcome to the forums emoticon.Yes.title

Try installing the graphics drivers update, after booting into Safe Mode (F8 continually during the boot process)?

Alternatively... boot into Safe Mode, then do a System Restore - to the last date it was known to be working properly (probably the very first restore point!?)?

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Integrated 2MP Webcam
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

0 Kudos