Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 3rd, 2009 17:00

Problem with Norton AntiVirus and Windows Firewall during StartUp mode on Dimension 4600

About 3 months ago, I added a new printer to my Dell Dimension 4600.  It is a HP Photosmart C4580 All-in-one. 

I have it connected via USB to one of the USB ports in the back of the Dimesion 4600.  I installed the printer correctly "I believe" using the CD that came with it.

Anyway, my problems(I "think" it is linked to the HP C4580, but am not 100% certain) with My Norton AntiVirus(Antivirus only, and Antispam program from Norton) and Windows Firewall began after it was installed.  Now after I begin to power up(on initial startup/powering on of the computer), everything is fine.  EXCEPT:  My Norton Antivirus program and Firewall are not activated on inital powering on/startup, even though I have that checked off for both of them.  They should be started up immediately after powering on.

The computer instead, now gives me the WARNING BUBBLE in the lower right hand corner telling me the that my firewall is not on, and when I click it, it informs me that my antivirus software is not on.  After about 2-3 minutes after inital powerup, the Windows FireWall and Norton Antivirus begin to operate normally, BUT I HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE DARN THINGS(I won't even connect my Mortorola 5100 Surfboard Cable Modem until BOTH are up and running.  I leave it in standby mode), which takes a total of 4-5 minutes after hitting the initial power button.

This is more of a serious "NUISANCE" than anything else, and was wondering if anyone out there had any ideas on what I need to do to fix this.  Uninstall and reistall the Printer(and use a USB/printer adapter cable instead of a direct USB to USB connection)?  Or is there something within the printer menu/setup that needs to be adjusted?  Or is it something else?

I am baffled by what to do to get it back to the way it was.  Having the Norton AntiVirus and Windows Firewall be active on inital startup/powering on. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 4th, 2009 06:00

piratesrule,

Yes or No...if you disconnect the USB printer cable from the back of the PC and restart, do you have the Notron/Windows Firewall issue?

18 Posts

May 5th, 2009 13:00

Chris,

I have not tried that yet.  I will give it a whirl, and let you know.  I thought I might have to uninstall, and then reinstall the HP printer.

I am a bit of a novice so before I do this, I use/click on  the "safely remove hardware"  that appears in my little tray in the right hand corner, before I remove the USB cable, and do a reboot, correct?

I usually leave my printer turned OFF until I need it, so it is not booted up with with everything else when I first start up/turn on.  It is plugged in to the powerstrip, so it is receiving power, but i leave it off until I need it.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 5th, 2009 13:00

I would just unplug it and reboot the PC without removing any software or drivers.

18 Posts

May 7th, 2009 11:00

Chris M,

I tried what you suggested this morning.  I removed the USB cable(for the printer) from one of the back USB ports, and still had the same issues on initial bootup of the computer.

After about 1-2 minutes, the bubble pops up in the lower right hand corner saying that I do not have my firewall up.  Upon clicking on it, it also says that I have no antivirus software turned on to monitor for viruses, which of course is not true in either case. 

After about another 1-2 minutes, they both activate, and are turned on.  This process, after initially turning on the computer takes 4-5 minutes.  Just more annoying than anything else.  I have checked, in the past(especially on the Norton antivirus), too make sure that the box is "checked" to have the antivirus and Windows Firewall ON when initial bootup begins.

I am just baffled by this, but something tells me that solution is either going to be annoying, or so easy that I will become annoyed. :)

2 Posts

May 8th, 2009 19:00

Normally it is just Norton.  I have been told to uninstall and reinstall Norton.  Go to the Norton site and I am sure that they will tell you the same thing.

No Events found!