Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2013 23:00

Problem with XPS 8500

Hi all,

I purchased a new power supply and video card (Sapphire HD 7950 3GB). The video card is not being recognized at all through Windows-- only on board video. I've tried updating the video card files myself (Catalyst says installation completed, but warnings occured. When I view the log, I do not see any useful information) 

I've tried a clean install of windows, turning off Secure Boot. I really have no idea what to do. The BIOS doesn't even seem to recognize the PCI port as something that boots-- only the Real Tek Audio. I really have no idea what to do next-- is it possibly I simply got one that's incompatible with the 8500? 

August 17th, 2013 13:00

I did update it to A11 last night. I was really hoping that would be it, but nope.

I'd rather avoid getting a GTX 670 because it seems to be at least 100 bucks more, and that's with only 2GB of memory instead of 3, which certainly is going to come into play when we enter the new generation of gaming with the PS4/Xbox One.

The only other thing that sounds like it holds any sort of promise is seeing if there's a BIOS update for the card itself. Sapphire doesn't seem to have any updates for the card, though. I guess I'll ask over there in their forums to see if anyone has ran into this issue with their XPS 8500 because I'd rather not pay the restocking fee, and I was quite happy with the selection I made based on performance and price.

1.5K Posts

August 17th, 2013 13:00

Did you update the bios to the most recent version?  If so, I would take the video card to a local computer store to see if they can confirm that it works properly.  If it does, it may very well be incompatible with the system.  You can go over this very long post HERE for additional information.  If it is incompatible, I would exchange it for a GTX 760 since others have used it and confirm it works based on the last page of the posted link.  It has equal or better performance compared to the HD 7950.  

1.5K Posts

August 17th, 2013 18:00

It was the GTX 760 not the older GTX 670 I had mentioned.  They both have basically the same performance at the same cost except the HD 7950 has some rebates going on right now making it a better deal and you are getting 3GB vs 2GB even though that won't make any difference right now.  Unfortunately, there have been many issues with some cards not being compatible and the only way to be sure is if someone bought a specific card and it worked even though this should not be the case and makes it very frustrating.  

August 17th, 2013 20:00

Oh, I know which one you were referring to-- I mistyped it in my response to you.

And I did check prices on the 760-- they are most costly, even before the rebates. I hate to have to pay more when I was satisfied with the 7950 just because Dell has a terrible bios, but so is life I suppose. It's just really crazy this problem was established in 2012, and even on the XPS 8300 if you want to go back farther, and Dell hasn't done anything to address it. It always boggles my mind that these companies have support forums, and yet ignore many of the problems their customers bring up.

August 17th, 2013 21:00

Oh you know what, I must have been looking at the wrong model. I can get the MSI 760 2GB for about 235 off of Newegg.  Only about $40 more. It does have higher clock speeds than the 7950, and the MSI brand has much love.

Only concern is if I'll be getting the "right" one that the poster mentioned getting. He didn't provide an exact model number, and I see two cards at least that could be the card the poster got. What do you think, Kelbear? If I got any MSI GTX 760, would I be all right?

1.5K Posts

August 18th, 2013 09:00

I think so.  He said an MSI gaming GTX 760 so there are only two.  The other is the Hawk.  One has 2GB the other 4GB.  Most are buying the 2GB.  I don't even know if the XPS would recognize a 4GB card.  In all probability it is this one HERE.  

August 18th, 2013 21:00

Thanks Kelbear! Now I gotta decide if I should wait for the new AMD cards to roll out. I wonder if they will have any effect on Nvidia's lineup...

No Events found!