Highlighted
sansan23
1 Nickel

Problem with computer since buying new Dell monitor - help please

My 3 year old Inspiron desktop & monitor  worked flawlessly since purchasing them  - until the other day that is . We moved into a new house on 3/31 and didn't get hooked up to the internet until a few days ago as were had to evacuate due to the 2 big quakes here in Kumamoto , Japan .  My S2204L fell off the desk when the first quake struck ( desktop did not move and I promptly  took it off the desk and put it in a safe place until our return ) , so I ordered a new one from Dell Japan as soon as we got back . Connected it the other day and went to Youtube to listen to some music . I came downstairs for about 20 minutes and suddenly the music stopped .  I went upstairs and discovered a black screen / no audio . Moved the mouse and the Youtube page is there and the music begins playing where it left off . I tried listening to a talk radio podcast and the same thing happened . It's as if the monitor is going into sleep / power save mode - which it shouldn't when I am in the process of watching or listening to something - and for some strange reason the audio/video stops until moving mouse . Wild . I am still using Windows 7 and Windows Home Premium 64 bit and IE . Anybody have a clue as to how I can solve this problem ? My wife called Dell Support Japan ( handled by Chinese who can speak Japanese ) but they weren't much help . I don't think the guy fully understood what I was experiencing . I hope you all do lol ! I went a month and a half without internet due to quake & evacuation and now still can't use the PC without trouble .

0 Kudos
1 Reply
sansan23
1 Nickel

RE: Problem with computer since buying new Dell monitor - help please

I realize I am not computer savvy and most of you must think I am a computer dummy , and you'd be right more or less . Despite that - as a loyal Dell user for many years - I expected at least one person to respond . Anyway , someone on a politically related forum suggested that I - temporarily at least - choose " never " sleep for the monitor , which I did , and now all is ok , However , I'd like to solve the source of the trouble if possible . Anyone ?

0 Kudos