Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2017 13:00

Purchased a new dell tower but want to completely clean out my old dell demension 3000

Purchase a new dell tower months ago and want to set it up but I want to delete everything so I can take it to get recycled.  I have a product called Pc eraser to remove it to but I had it for a while.  Wondering if there is something else I could use that maybe better and I did clean out some of it using pc eraser but what to make sure what else I need to do.  I have yes still Windows XP but stop using it cause it was so slow getting on the Internet.  My new tower has Windows 8 or 8.1.  I have a monitor that I can use that came with my dell demension that is working fine.  Every time I have been on the forum, I got get information.  

1.2K Posts

July 30th, 2017 16:00

I just pull the drives out, and then take the platters out and smash them with my 32 ounce ford wrench ( small sledge hammer).

Pull the magnets as they are good for garage use.

19 Posts

July 30th, 2017 16:00

Thank you that would be too messy for me to do at home though.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 30th, 2017 17:00

Download the free DBAN app to nuke everything on the hard drive.

dban.org/.../

Create a bootable CD or USB with DBAN. Boot from the CD or USB and run DBAM on  your hard drive.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 31st, 2017 06:00

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 30th, 2017 15:00

If you're worried about the data on the drive, there are companies that will shred and recycle the hard drive for you --

example:

www.backthruthefuture.com/.../

No Events found!