Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2008 02:00

Question about OCUR compliant BIOS

Hello, 

Just tonight, I've finally learned why Vista MediaCenter says my PC is not Digital Cable ready. 

I've run the BIOS Check Utility provided by http://www.dougknox.com/vista/index.htm

And now it seems that my beautiful, new XPS 420's bios is not OCUR compliant. 

I've also read that a two-file fix (OCUR.EXE and ASSET.EXE along with a .docx file) exist in order to resolve this problem.  

How can I get this fix for my XPS420 to enable digital cable reception?   I have the Vista Digital Cable Support key on my Vista lic sticker. 

Thanks in advance. 

202 Posts

August 20th, 2008 05:00

XPS420redeaux: I Would Be Very Car Full With Relying On Third Party Web Sites (Non Dell Websites 4 Hardware Updates, Non Microsoft Websites (4 Windows Systems) And/Or Non Ubuntu Update Chanells (4 Linux Systems) 4 Software Updates, Just FYI. It Is Always Recommended That You Get Hard Ware Updates From Dell Only, That You Get Windows Updates 4 Microsoft Only, And That You Get Ubuntu Updates, From The Official Ubuntu Update Channels Only. I'm Not Sure If You Are Aware Of This, But I Have Seen At Least Some People In Microsoft's Public News Group Complaining That The BIOS Check Utility From The Source That You Mentioned Does Not Work Correctly On 64 Bit Operating Systems, And They Have Been Telling Both Microsoft, And The Source That Either He Needs 2 Fix His Software, Or Microsoft Should Have The Sources Website Taken Down.

August 20th, 2008 13:00

Actually, I found the reference to the "dougknox utility" on this message board, and the three-file OCUR BIOS fix itself must come from Dell only.  In fact I've read both here and abroad that Dell is very specific in requireing that this fix NOT be shared -due to it's highly technical nature and I suppose potential to really hose-up a system.   (I am an IT Pro, I'm allowed to try this at home I think ;-) 

I'm my case, Dell's OCUR BIOS enable fix is my last hope before returning the system to Dell.  I've spent over 5 hours "troubleshooting" with techsupport who, from the start made it easy to see they barely understood my ATI Wonder Digital Cable Card tuner, much less how to make it work.  The last straw on the fourth long call was when I was told I must have a set-top box to view digital cable.  They mentioned nothing about the fact that the BIOS needs to be OCUR enabled.  So I finally asked for info on how to return the system, since the primary reason I bought it was to be the heart of a new media center.  If I can't watch digital cable through it, it's essentially useless to me. 

Can anyone at Dell provide the OCUR BIOS enable fix for an XPS 420, please? 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 20th, 2008 14:00

XPS420redeaux,

Since you have the Vista Digital Cable Support key, then I can email you the files.

202 Posts

August 20th, 2008 15:00

Sorry, I Did Not Notice That Post From Dell Until I Read The Dell XPS 420 FAQ Some Time Late Last Night, As I Do Not Own A Dell XPS 420 Computer, I Did Not Realize That This Was A Dell Recommended Solution, Although I Have Heard Of Other People Having Problems With This 3rd Party Software On 64 Bit Windows, Just FYI.

August 20th, 2008 16:00

No problem kevpan,

Thanks for the reply. 

Fourtunately, the OCUR BIOS fix that Chris sent me FIXED IT!  I'm now digital cable ready, and can now get Charter to come out with a cable card and get it paired-up so's I can watch me some HBO! 

Thank you Chris!

6 Posts

August 22nd, 2008 14:00

Unfortunately, apparently when you order an ATI TV Wonder Cable Card tuner the operating system has to be specified with Cable Card support.  Unless you do that, you will get the Cable Card tuner without the OCUR support in the BIOS and you will not get a product key for the cable card support.

For some unexplained reason, you can order this configuration on the DELL web site.  It doesn't make sense because for something simple like a 19 in 1 card reader you have to specifically order that with bluetooth support but for a $199.00 TV tuner it doesn't tell you that you have to order the operating system with cable card support.

I am now in the process of trying to return this (second system ordered from DELL because the first went back after they cancelled the Cable Card tuner, of course that one had cable card support, but no tuner) system because I am fed up with DELL (and apparently there are many of you out there who are fed up as well).

1 Message

November 18th, 2008 21:00

I too just ordered the XPS 420, along with a ATI TV Wonder Digital Cable Tuner, but receive the message "Your computer is not digital cable ready.  You will not be able to set it up for use with a CableCARD."  I don't recall ever seeing an option to choose an operating system with CableCARD support.  This all seems silly though.  Why would I order the tuner if I didn't intend to use it?  And what about those people who choose to purchase a tuner at a later date?  They can't use it because they didn't choose the correct OS at the time of purchase?  Is there no way to fix this?

I also ran that utility to check to see if OCUR was enabled in my BIOS and according to that utility, it was not.  I also do not have a "Digital Cable Product Key" on the same sticker as my Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium x64 "Product Key".

From what I've been reading, there is a BIOS fix.  I'm currently at the latest revision (A06), so I'm assuming this is something that is not publicly available.  How can I get a copy of this?

1 Message

January 7th, 2009 22:00

I'm new to this "forum", and can't seem to get an email to Chris to work.  Dell replaced my XPS 420's motherboard, and now my CableCards don't work.  I've spent hours with XPS Tech Support, and they even replaced the motherboard again today, with no difference of course.  The original problem is the Blu-Ray drive locking up, but now I can't watch any premium channels either!

Chris, please email me the files so I can fix this!

141 Posts

January 8th, 2009 07:00

Icericks,

Send me a private message with your email address.

1 Message

January 13th, 2009 10:00

Hello, I also have a Dell XPS 420 which is not OCUR compliant.  I have a Vista OCUR activiation key and would like to get the necessary files to flash the computer's bios so it's OCUR capable.

Thanks in advance.

-Huw

1 Message

January 17th, 2009 19:00

I was able to change my activation key to the second one on the two on the label - - Vista says it activated successfully.  Although i'm not sure it really sure it did anything - - the oem code on the "my Computer" screen seems to have stayed the same.  however, the knox program still says I'm not ocur - ready.  Do I need the bios fix, or is something else wrong?  It's a refurbished, so it may have a replaced MOBO... 

Chris, can you send me the files - - or will it not work in my case?

1 Message

January 19th, 2009 16:00

I think I have the same problem. I had hardware problems with my computer. They sent a tec here to change mother board and card reader twice. Turned out to be a bad cable to the card reader.

I get this error message in Media Center on all channels    

Restrictions set by the broadcaster or originator of the content prohibit playback of the program on this computer.

Help

1 Message

January 21st, 2009 09:00

Hello Chris.  I have an XPS 420 that has the proper digital cable support key with it.  However when I run the BIOS check utility, it gets reported that my bios is not OCUR compliant.  Can I get a copy of the fix that has been discussed in this thread?

Thank you.

John

1 Message

February 5th, 2009 22:00

Hi Chris,

I am getting the same error. Could you please send me the ocur bios fix please? Thanks

-vmsiyer

1 Message

February 13th, 2009 13:00

I truly feel "not so smart" My Dell XPS420 has the appropriate COA's but the BIOS according to "DougKnox" is not compliant. I would prefer not to send it back as this will be even more frustrating to my wife that has bought into the idea. Can anyone help me please?

No Events found!