Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2016 20:00

Question about my new desktop.

So about a week ago I purchased an Inspiron 3656 from best buy. It was an open box so I got it for like $599.99 which is a great deal. I went ahead and put a 480 gig SSD in it and made the 2 terabyte that came with it external. I cannot find much info about the motherboard that it comes with so. Am I able to put a faster CPU in this machine? It has 4 cpu cores and 8 gpu cores. It says it has a AMD Radeon r9 360. The cpu is a quad core FX8800P r7 i believe. Is it possible to put in an 8 core and faster one? Or even any faster cpu? The computer is plenty fast but my work is paying for it. I love the machine and tinkering around makes me want to build an all out gaming rig even though I don't play my ps4 haha.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 7th, 2016 12:00

JRobinskY

The Inspiron 3656 Desktop was built with a BGA motherboard, this has the processor soldered directly onto the motherboard, this means the CPU can not be replaced, unless the motherboard is replaced also.

See page 12, item 13 here:

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-3656-desktop_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

No Events found!