Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2009 17:00

Question regarding a sound card

HELP!

I have a Sound Blaster Live! 24 bit advanced HD Audio, 100dB/Dolby Digital 96KHz/7.1 sound Card 

I am trying to digitize tapes and records, BUT--the card seems to have only a MONO INPUT

IS this POSSIBLE?!?!?  Is there anything I can do to get a stereo INPUT?

A stereo mini jack only brings in one channel and it shows the same output on each track...

Is there a newer sound card?

<ADMIN NOTE : Email id removed per privacy policy>

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 29th, 2009 06:00

If you are using the Pink microphone input jack it is only mono.  You need to use the Blue "Line In" which is stereo.

See TH IS on inputs, that I wrote several years ago.

But a SoundBlaster Live! 24 bit is not a "HD" audio device.  Are you sure that is what you have?  They were sold with many older model PC's.

August 29th, 2009 07:00

The set up is just as you describe, but the system only gets one channel.  Could this be an old version of the card that cannot receive Stereo? (It PLAYS Stereo).  Is there a newer card I can put in?

August 29th, 2009 09:00

Thanks - You have helped me a lot!!

I appreciate it!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 29th, 2009 09:00

If it's only getting one channel, make sure the cables you are using are good. I've run across bad cables or connections. 

Also check the Volume Control Panel and make sure the Line In pan control is set in the middle so you get stereo.

With the PC powered off, reseat the sound card (unplug and plug back in) then power back up and see if it fixed it.

If it's still bad it could be the card and a good replacement would be the SoundBlaster Audigy SE (about $30).  It is a PCI sound card.  Best Buy used to have them, I haven't checked lately.  On line www.newegg.com has them.

No Events found!