Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 3rd, 2009 09:00

Question regarding "MY DELL DOWNLOADS"

I was wanting to make a copy of all the pre-installed software that was on my new Dell Inspiron 546MT.  Instructions came that said that I could go to the following website: http://downloadstore.dell.com/media to register and start using the service.  I found the website and logged in.

the next page asks you to "register your system" and to click on "Register system" - see below:

Register Your System

Please click “Register System”. Registration will allow us to display the software entitled for download. You will be automatically registered after you click “allow” on the service tag scanning utility.

Register System

But - then nothing happens - I do not get the service tag scanning utility so that I can click "allow"  - what do I do??  Is there another way to do this?

Examining your computer please wait ...

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

August 3rd, 2009 10:00

You cannot make a copy of your software by downloading. Entering your tag will only allow you to see & download all available drivers, not your installed software. You should have received all the disks necessary to reinstall your programs and operating system. If you didn't get those, contact Dell. Your system is already registered with Dell if you bought the computer from Dell. Your Service Tag is on a sticker on your computer. Make a copy of it and keep it in a safe place. If you bought it elsewhere, you will need to register.

The scanning utility does not work with popup blockers, some firewalls and will only work with Internet Explorer but not with any other browser.

1 Message

June 22nd, 2012 07:00

I wish I could help, I want to have a look at the download store, but I'm encountering the same problem. Does anyone know how to get to the service tag scanning utility?

1 Message

November 4th, 2013 10:00

Try downloading it with Internet Explorer.... it should work

May 21st, 2014 05:00

i'm also having the same problem! :emotion-6:

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 21st, 2014 09:00

Ability to scan service tag is in windows "Command Prompt"

To get the service tag You use
wmic bios get serialnumber 
C:\>wmic csproduct get vendor,name,identifyingnumber IdentifyingNumber    Name                Vendor
ABCDEF1              PowerEdge 2950      Dell Inc.

Its very similar in Linux from a root Terminal Session
# dmidecode -s system-serial-number
ABCDEF1

1 Message

March 4th, 2016 09:00

Use IE it will absolutely work. It worked for me every time. Hope same for U.

No Events found!