Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

March 7th, 2016 10:00

R9 380 GAMING 4G in a Dell XPS 8900 HELP!

Hi I was wondering if I can purchase and use a MSI R9 380 GAMING 4G for my new Dell XpS 8900 computer? I am concerned about the stock psu not being enough power for this card. I belive the stock psu is 460w but this card has a System Requirements Power Consumption of 150W.

And this is the card I would like to use:

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16814127878&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-Skimlinks-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=12087162&PID=3899435&SID=skim1402X558040X53b45aa4de7f492ad05045d85d0bbfeb&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-Skimlinks

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 9th, 2016 06:00

The stock 460w is designed for 150w of video power. That card uses 225w or more.  8 Pin = 150w  + 75w from the X16 slot = 225w if it uses a 6 pin and An 8 pin this is 300w

http://support.amd.com/en-us/recommended/power-supplies/detail?item=AX650M

AMD says that  6950 cards can be used with an AX650M

I have used the Corsair CS750M in several Dell models without issue.

5 Posts

March 9th, 2016 09:00

Ok so It would be ok If I get this card then right with my stock PSU? Because it would be 225w = from the psu and pcie 3.0 X16 slot It uses two 6 pin connectors that I have inside that aren't used because I have a Nvidia Gt 730 2GB 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 9th, 2016 18:00

The cards I have seen show 1 8 pin and 1 6 pin.  There are Dual 6 pin to 8 pin adapters aka its 300W aka 3 X 6 pin or 1 8 pin and 1 6 pin.  Stock 460 is too small.

5 Posts

March 10th, 2016 08:00

So before I think about upgrading my psu in the future what is the best graphics card I can use with this stock psu that will give me a good gamin performance? Plus I seen videos of a guy using a nvidia GTX 970 with the stock psu etc....

1.2K Posts

March 10th, 2016 22:00

GTX 970 can work with the stock PSU, but I've read of failures without upgrading the PSU.

I think the safest card with the stock PSU is a solid GTX 960 (MSI or EVGA).

GTX 970 is a great match for the system.

53 Posts

March 11th, 2016 09:00

Do yourself a favor and spend the money in a decent PSU (750w min.) it is pointless to buy a new CPU card and play chicken with the PSU. You do not want to kick yourself later for busting your new GPU because your PSU does not have enough juice to power it. 

1.2K Posts

March 11th, 2016 12:00

Do yourself a favor and spend the money in a decent PSU (750w min.)

I agree on investing in an excellent PSU.  

I would size the PSU based on what you plan to put into it.

I find 650W is adequate for any single graphics card in a non-overclocked (haswell, Devils Canyon, Skylake) system.

EDIT -- this is for any single nVidia card. the R9s might have a card that pulls too much power for a 650W PSU, but I don't have any hands-on with the AMD cards.

note that EVGA's  "Power Meter" web page "estimates and recommends" 550W as sufficient for an 980ti in a 4790 system

It won't hurt to get 750W as long as it fits, but to me it isn't necessary.

46 Posts

March 12th, 2016 00:00

A Cosair 750M power supply is a good and popular choice.  Newegg had it on sale for $59.99 a few days ago - sweet! :-)

Imho, to be "safe" with the stock CPU cooler and power supply, you really want to stay under ~100watts.

You can run 15amps through a thin extension cord.  "It works".  And, it's also the cause of many fires and loss of property.  So, just because someone does something and "it works", that does not mean that it's safe or a good idea.  Nor, does that mean that it will work for someone else.

Imho, if you do not want to upgrade the power supply (imho, that *is* a different level of modification than adding a PCIe card or memory), then what *I* suggest is wait a few weeks for the latest ASUS GTX950 video card to hit the retailers:

ASUS GeForce GTX950-2G specs:

• Graphics Engine: Nvidia GeForce GTX 950
  • Bus Standard: PCI Express 3.0
  • Video Memory: GDDR5 2GB
  • Engine Clock: OC Mode – GPU Boost Clock : 1,228MHz , GPU Base Clock : 1,051MHz
  • Gaming Mode (Default) – GPU Boost Clock : 1,190MHz , GPU Base Clock : 1,026MHz
  • CUDA Core: 768
  • Memory Clock: 6,610MHz
  • Memory Interface: 128-bit
  • Resolution: Digital Max Resolution: 4,096 x 2,160
  • Interface: DVI Output : Yes x 1 (Native) (DVI-I)
  • HDMI Output : Yes x 1 (Native) (HDMI 2.0)
  • Display Port : Yes x 1 (Native) (Regular DP)
  • HDCP Support : Yes
  • Power Consumption: up to 75W, no additional PCIe power required
  • Software: ASUS GPU Tweak II & Driver
  • Dimensions: 8.3″ x 4.5″ x 1.6″ Inch, 21 x 11.3 x 4 cm. This is a 2-slot graphics card design

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/GTX950-2G/specifications/

https://techreport.com/news/29807/asus-geforce-gtx-950-2g-can-run-without-a-6-pin-power-plug

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3043493/hardware/asus-reveals-two-tiny-unique-gtx-950-graphics-cards-that-dont-need-extra-power.html

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/asus-geforce-gtx-950-gpu-negates-the-need-for-a-power-connector/

53 Posts

March 12th, 2016 10:00

I got a EVGA 750w B2 and it fits. Just need to move the top USB cable towards the side so that you wont pinch it. I manage to fit a ASUS GTX980 ti Strix on the 8900 and that is one of the biggest cards available so I do not think you will have a problem fitting a 970 in there. Check the my carf dimension at ASUS' website and if the card you are getting is smaller than my dimension then you will be laughing.

5 Posts

March 12th, 2016 10:00

I really appreciate the feedback. So I finally made up my mind and want to get the gtx 970. So which 750w PSU will fit perfectly in my xps 8900? And is there a mini 970 form factor version yet? Because a 970 is a huge card lol!

1.2K Posts

March 12th, 2016 11:00

650W is more than enough for any single nVidia card up to and including a GTX 980 ti.

I suggest 80 plus gold, 650 to 750w modular for for an xps 8700 / 8900 case and one from a top manufacturer.

Seasonic X-650 fits well ( I have this in two systems) EVGA G2 series (these are built by Superflower) are a little longer and slightly harder to squeeze in but the 650 G2 and 750 G2 are good choices. 

The Seasonic G series are also good and the EVGA GS series (these are built by Seasonic) are slightly shorter than the G2 series, but the G2 series in all ways seems to be a superior PSU.

Corsair is a marketing brand, and so is EVGA so you have to research who built each specific model and what specs it was built to. 

I suggest reading reviews on jonnyguruDOTcom and techpowerupDOTcom before buying any PSU

as far as what fits, and what needs some case trimming, check out this long thread :

en.community.dell.com/.../19611037

46 Posts

March 12th, 2016 16:00

**NOTE: It is *not a super simple/easy* to replace the power supply in an XPS 8700/8900. *There is the risk of damaging the motherboard* if a person isn't careful in the removal/install.

For the XPS 8900, you have to push down on the back 2 tabs that also hold the PS in. No real reason they are needed, other than Dell's "we build SOLID DEPENDABLE PCs that take abuse and still work" philosophy.

Imho, if you're not carrying/shipping the PC all over the place, they are not needed.
Fwiw, I know a number of people that have had Dell desktops shipped all over the place in order to do support.

For a Power Supply: Corsair CX750M
Check for Newegg deals. :-)

Power supplies and disks are the top failures for PCs.
With a bad power supply, *you can loose everything - motherboard, disk, graphics, etc*.

Imho, buy Corsair or Dell, or take a risk. :-)

You have to be careful with reviews on web sites. Many (most :-) sites get "something" to do a review. Even if it's early or a free item, that's something that the site gets. Also, most sites get/make money with advertizing. If they say "everything ***", then they won't get advertizing. Then, you have the "I's knows electronics well - I's use a clock radio" type of review and reviewer. In other words, they don't know anything about electrical engineering.

So, what are they basing their review on? How pretty the graphics are??? :-)

Good site and reviews for Power Supplies, and a link to the Corsair CX750M review:
www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php

Example of "I use a clock radio, so I can do a review on an electrical product" review:
www.guru3d.com/.../corsair-rm750i-power-supply-review,1.html
(Note, the reviewer may or may not be an electrical engineer with power supply experience. However, imho, that review is a joke from an _engineering point of view_.)

Btw, which "capacitors" that are used *is a big deal*! Just ask Dell. :) Iirc, Dell "almost" became like Gateway (who? :-) when they used inferior capacitors (I think the accidentally bought illegal fakes??) and their motherboards where dying at an alarming rate.
en.wikipedia.org/.../Capacitor_plague

www.theguardian.com/.../dell-problems-capacitors

Fwiw, the CX750M is still at $59.99 at Newegg. :-)
Go to the site, and search for CX750M.
Fwiw, imho, even the $99 Amazon price is a great price!

**Btw, my comment with the reviews is not a bash on people that don't have English as a first language.  It's a bash on people that *professionally write* _tech_ articles for the English speaking America audience, and are yet too "foolish" (nice wording :-) to use MS-Word to spell check and grammar check their articles.  How much do you trust a tech review, by a professional writer, if they don't even know or use useful software checking tools that have been around for over 15 years?  These web sites often can't afford an editor.  So, they should do like smaller businesses and at least double check their work with good top-of-the-line spelling and grammar checking tools.

Good Luck!

5 Posts

March 15th, 2016 13:00

Yeah it is still the same price lol but it is refurbished though. Will this card do me fine though?

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

1.2K Posts

March 15th, 2016 20:00

Yeah it is still the same price lol but it is refurbished though. Will this card do me fine though?

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

I would not use a mini-itx style card. instead, I'd go for a fullsize card with two or three fans.

My current favorite GTX 970 is the MSI Twin Frozer Gaming 4G 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1085232-REG/msi_gtx_970_gaming_4g.html

I run this in my non dell workstation and my son has one in his xps 8700.

silent fan at idle, and quiet under load.

46 Posts

March 15th, 2016 23:00

Hi Dve2K,

Newegg now has the _new_ CX750M for $69 after mail in rebate.  They had it $59 after mail in rebate last week.
  Iirc, Amazon has one of the best typical-price non-sale prices on the CX750 - and that's ~$100!
  So, even at $79, the CX750M is a steal at that price.

CORSAIR CX series CX750M 750W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified

$79.89 Save: $20.00 (20%)
$69.89 after $10.00 rebate card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139051

As for Graphics cards, BUY ASUS! :-) 

ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support G-SYNC Support Video Card

It's now $329 after rebate, and has a much better cooling system than that _short_ GTX970 that you should be.  Plus, it has the ASUS known and proven quailty in fans, cooling, caps, power supply, etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121899

I like certain company's for a reason.  I'm familiar with many/most companies - and that's from over 15++ of doing my own PC builds.  My first PC build was before Windows3.1 was even released.

My XPS 8900 is the first new desktop that I bought assembled.  Many reasons for that.  One of the most important is because MicroSUCKS is living up to their SCUM OF THE EARTH reputation - even with Win10.  And, I want the latest CPU (6th gen i7) running Win7, and with a *reliable* motherboard that I can get replacements from.  Fwiw, that means that I had to buy a Dell system, since they are one of the few manufactures that  MicroSUCKS has agreed to support Win7 on.
Fwiw, I've bought, and used, ~10 used Dell systems (very cheaply on ebay), over the past 15++ years.  Plus, just about all of the companies I've worked for consulting used Dell PCs and laptops.

As for Lenovo, I hate them for the same reasons I dislike many other companies.  Got spyware??
As for HP, they are making cheap ****** again.  That company has many problems.  And, so on.

I'm doing a bunch of mods to my XPS 8900 system.  Over the next month or so, I'll give the results.

Good Luck!

No Events found!