Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2016 15:00

RAID to AHCI with OptiPlex 7040 WIN 10

Evening all,

In the last couple of months, I decided to upgrade the stock HDD to a Samsung SSD. I used to Samsung Migration software which cloned the HDD to the SSD, swapped the drives over and everything works fine. 

I noticed in the Samsung Magician tool that that AHCI was disabled and one should enable it for better performance with their SSD. I've gone into the BIOS and changed the setting from RAID to AHCI and again everything works fine however the Magician tool is still saying that the AHCI is disabled. 

I've tried several methods including this however I can't seem to get it to work. When I switched the mode in the BIOS, I never received any errors, Windows booted correctly so am confused. 

Current system is:

OptiPlex 7040, WIN 10 Pro, Samsung 850 SSD connected to SATA0 (where old stock HDD was connected). 

Any help/ advise would be greatly appreciated. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 1st, 2016 17:00

Optiplex 7040 can only be installed via Dell Factory OS media because the F6 chipset drivers are not native to windows 10.  The 7040 does not have ATA mode for Sata Operation.  The CHIPSET and INTEL RST drivers are required for Pre install via a custom WIN10 PE image.

There is support for this but it  is not free.

Contracts for having an onsite Dell tech to help with images is  $250,000 a year.

You don't get  this free it is a paid service.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/services/ximage_datasheet.pdf

Only Solution for OptiPlex 5040 and 7040

1. Go to the Dell Drivers and Download site for your product.

2. Select the dropdown for Operating System then select the option to "Download the Windows Recovery Image"

3. When the download is complete the issue will be resolved by the new image installed as this has drivers included.

The 5040 does not support ATA or FAT32 MBR partitions nor does Windows 7 or 8 or 10.  You can only install on GPT partitions with SECURE BOOT OFF legacy ON NON UEFI BOOT.  There is no ATA sata operation and therefore you MUST USE AHCI F6 drivers for the install to work.  There is support for this but its not free.  Advanced format drives REQUIRE F6 drivers.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN146650/EN

To perform a clean Operating System or image installation on an Advanced Format HDD, various drivers, software upgrades, or tools may need to be used (Table 2).

Microsoft® OS Installation Method Windows 7 &
Windows 7 SP1
Microsoft Vista SP1 &
Microsoft Vista SP2
Microsoft Vista Microsoft XP
Using Dell Operating System Media
Or
Using non-Dell off-the-shelf Operating System Media

1. Apply Microsoft KB Article:982018.
  2. Install/upgrade Intel RST Storage driver to 9.6 or later. (1)
  1. Apply Microsoft KB Article:2470478.
  1. Install/upgrade Intel RST Storage driver to 9.6 or higher. (1)
  2. Use Alignment Tool (2) to ensure Advanced Format drive partitions are properly aligned.
Using Windows PE 3.0 or prior
Note: If using a Win PE version earlier than 3.0, apply Windows Automated KIT
  1. Apply Microsoft KB Article:982018.
  1. Apply Microsoft KB Article:2470478.
Install/upgrade Intel RST Storage driver to 9.6 or higher. (1)
Using Windows PE 3.1 Install/upgrade Intel RST Storage driver to 9.6 or higher. (1)

No Events found!