Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 30th, 2011 14:00

RAM Upgrade for the XPS 720

Hello all,

I recently upgraded my XPS 720 from Windows XP 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit and not too long ago replaced my old NVIDIA 8800GT video card with an NVIDIA GTX 480. I'd like to better my gaming experience with 8GB of RAM. Right now I am only running 4GB of DDR2 RAM. I'm aware that the XPS 720 can support 1066MHz of RAM, but from what I understand from all of the posts I have been reading, it's generally more recommended to use 800MHz since apparently you'll get the full speed on it, and not on the 1066MHz sticks. If there are four slots for RAM on my mobo (which is the stock mobo when I bought the PC), is it wiser to fill each of those slots with 2GB DDR2 800MHz sticks, or just two slots with 4GB RAM sticks, or would it even really matter? Also, if I wanted to use the 1066MHz sticks, is that a bad idea to use at all, or would it be fine if I used four 2GB sticks or two 4GB sticks? If it makes any difference, I am running an Intel Q6600 Quad Core CPU, 2.4GHz.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Your system should take 1066 fine, but it likely won't support memory running at that speed.  Meaning?  Don't spend an extra dime for 1066; if it is the same price or cheaper, get it, but don't spend extra for it.  Running memory at full clock speed is no better or worse than running memory at partial clock speed (other than the potential waste of money on faster memory).

There is no indication, however, that the 720 will accept 4GB DIMM's.  Original specs indicate 8GB is the max with 2GB DIMM's, and the BIOS update release notes to not indicate support for larger DIMM's.  That doesn't mean they won't work, just that they probably will not.  Besides, some would debate that there is a performance increase with more DIMM's.  Go 4x2GB.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 30th, 2011 16:00

This kind of first-hand information can be helpful, since none of these types of specs are documented.  Even if the controller has an issue with all four slots populated, I seriously doubt that it will handle 4GB DIMM's at all.  If you go to 8GB, I'm guessing you will have to get 4x2GB ... and buy from someone who guarantees they will work (Dell, Crucial, etc.), because, from the sound of it, not just any seemingly compatible memory will work.  (Similarly, Intel "validates" memory modules for use in their retail motherboards, and on some, the list is short, and for good reason - layout, timings, voltage can all play a role on a picky controller, although on most low-mid range PC's, it is not an issue.)

14.4K Posts

4 gig will not work the system will not handle them. Check with Crucial for memory. As theirs is guaranteed to work with dell systems .

www.crucial.com/.../listparts.aspx

14.4K Posts

December 30th, 2011 17:00

the crucial memory is CL 6 and the Dell memory is CL 5 which is virtually nothing in performance difference. AT 50 vs 70 a pair the Crucial is a better deal.

38 Posts

Thank you for the reply, theflash1932. I don't plan on spending any more money than I have to. If 800MHz is more cost effective and offers the same exact effect as 1066MHz, there's really no point in buying 1066MHz at all, I suppose. As far as the 2GB vs 4GB DIMM's are concerned, I'll settle with the 4X2GB then as per your recommendation. It should not be that expensive at all.

14.4K Posts

December 30th, 2011 15:00

Well to burst your bubble you will have a heck of a time getting four sticks of ram to run at 1066. I know this from dealing with this since the release of the 720. The memory controller on this system if very very picky when populating all four ram slots. You must have fully identical sticks, and all must run at 1.8v to even stand a chance of working. I had to have OCZ make special programs for my ram to get 8 gigs at 800mhz to work, and most other ram just wont work at that speed. IF you only go with two slots the system seems to handle this OK but moving up to all four is when the weakness of the controller comes into light. It would have helped if the bios was tweak able in order to raise the ram voltage a tad but that is not in the bios.  

38 Posts

I understand now. Thank you both for all of your help. I will check with Crucial, Dell, and whoever else promises compatibility. I appreciate all of your help!

38 Posts

Davet50, you are saying that you would recommend placing 1066MHz sticks is right out then, and that I should place 4GBx2 then in the mobo instead of 2GBx4? Are there 2GB memory sticks out there that run at 1.8V?

38 Posts

I was thinking of purchasing 2 kits of Corsair 4GBx2 RAM. 800 MHz, 1.8v, 240-DIMMs.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A1499970&~ck=baynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0

More expensive than the Crucial compatible RAM, but the performance may be even better for my rig. Would this RAM be compatible? What are your thoughts?

38 Posts

Alrighty, Crucial RAM it is. Thanks again!

6 Posts

February 27th, 2012 12:00

I did this - got 4 of them (@2gb each) and never could get them to work properly. I upgraded with a clean Win 7 64-bit install and I still have problems. I'm starting to have doubts about one of the memory slots though, so I don't want to blame the RAM.  But when I replace the Corsair RAM modules with the stock modules that came with my 720, I no longer get errors. For what it's worth.

14.4K Posts

February 27th, 2012 16:00

As i have mentioned many times these systems are really picky about ram when populating all four slots. The only way I got my 8 gigs of OCZ ram to work was to have them write special SPDs for the sticks. Not sure if Corsair offers the same service. What they basically had to do was to dumb down the timings abit. Which because of the locked bios on the 720 one cannot do.

No Events found!