Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

September 2nd, 2007 04:00

RAM capability

Hi,
I have a "Dimension B110", Intel Celeron D 2.53GHz with 512MB RAM.
I would like increase it to 1G or more. I have couple of questions.
What is the max capability of this machine? How many RAM slots are there and
What is the capacity of each slot.
Regards
/Prasanna

1 Rookie

• 

3.9K Posts

September 2nd, 2007 04:00

September 2nd, 2007 22:00

Since I already have 512M can I buy a 1G compatible memory card and put it in the other slot?
Will 1.5G of memory create any incompatibility?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 3rd, 2007 03:00

@mkprasanna wrote:
Since I already have 512M can I buy a 1G compatible memory card and put it in the other slot?
Will 1.5G of memory create any incompatibility?

Yes, you can add a 1gb module, but you would loose the performance advantages offered by dual-channel.

You should install memory in identical pairs. Installing a 'kitted' pair is the best way to ensure that your modules are identical, right down to the chip count.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

103 Posts

September 3rd, 2007 15:00

Does that mean in my case if I wanted to increase my memory from 2 GB, installed in slots 1 and 2, to three that I should buy two 512 MB to install in 3 and 4? There is no point in installing additional 2 GB as with a Vista 32 bit system as it only uses 3 Gb. Is that right?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 3rd, 2007 20:00

ian1937

You are right, installing more than 3gb of RAM in a 32bit system, is a waste of memory. Adding an additional 2x512mb modules to the exsisting 2x1gb, should be fine.

How to Install Memory.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

1 Rookie

• 

3.9K Posts

September 5th, 2007 03:00

Only 2 memory slots. (Labeled 3 and 4, don't ask me why) max RAM 2 GB

1 Message

August 1st, 2012 16:00

When I added a second 1G (matched to the other 1G) I got this beeping sound.  When I looked at the slots prior to installing, the original 1G was in slot 4.  I removed the second 1G and reinstalled the original in slot 3 and still got the beep with slot 4 empty.  I put the new 1G in  slot 4 and it worked fine.  I then put the other 1G in slot 3 along with the other 1G in slot slot 4 and it still beeped.  It appears that slot 3 does not like either of the 1G chips.  What is up with this?

No Events found!