Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2013 22:00

RAM not worknig after BIOS Upgrade

Hi,

My Dell Optilex GX620 was running on 3 GB (1 std + 2 GB Upgraded) with BIOS A01. I just upgrade to A11 last week. After upgarding PC was not able to boot, and givig LED 1 & 3 Error. So I remove upgraded RAM, It runs fine!

Is there any way to downgrade to BIOS, and check if my Upgraded RAM will work?

Original RAM: Samsung 512MB 1Rx8 PC2 - 3200U - 333 - 10 - A1

Upgraded RAM : G Skill: F2-6400CL5S-2GBNT PC2-6400

Any advise please!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 4th, 2013 12:00

Don't know if it's possible to downgrade BIOS on this particular system.

How is the RAM arranged, eg 2x512 MB for the original, and 2x1 GB for the upgraded RAM?

What happens if you remove the original RAM pair and install only the upgraded RAM in the same slots where you remove the original RAM? That should tell you if the upgraded RAM still works.

You can also try this to see if you can get the new version of BIOS to work with all RAM installed:

1. Reboot and press F2 to open BIOS setup. Copy down all the current BIOS settings
  2. Power off  and unplug
  3. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  4. Open case and remove motherboard battery
  5. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  6. Install all RAM with matched pairs in slots 1+2, and 3+4, using the color of the retention clips to identify slot pairs.
  7. Reinstall the battery (right-side-up!)
  8. Reboot and open BIOS setup again. Confirm all settings match what you wrote down, or change to match, and set date and time. Be sure to save settings before exiting setup

9 Posts

February 5th, 2013 19:00

Thanks for reply. I removed original RAM and installed upgraded RAM only (as u suggested) and it worked. After That I follow the steps u advised above but same led 1 & 3 error. So mixed RAM is not working somehow!I guess it is better to run pc on 2gb (upgraded) than 1gb (origin) RAM. Any suggestions! Thanks again

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 6th, 2013 09:00

So either the 2 sets of RAM aren't compatible or you have a bum motherboard slot...  

No Events found!