Highlighted
WillJobe
1 Nickel

RE: No surround sound on dell studio hybrid 140g with Realtek HD Audio

Hi!

I had to do a fresh install of WIndows 7 on my Dell Studio Hybrid. Have everything working except for bluray drive(another thread) and HD audio. I have tested the original Realtek HD audio Vista drivers for my system as welll as the latest from Realtek. All work but only with stereo speakers (see screen dump). 

Any suggestions as to how to enable my surround system. I am using HDMI to Onkyo 7.1 receiver and have a 5.1 speaker system connected. Everything worked before but now I cannot choose and configure my speakers. I am at a dead end...

//Will

0 Kudos
4 Replies
fireberd
6 Indium

Generally, on Dell's, you need the Dell supplied sound drivers.  In most cases, from posts on this forum, either the non-Dell will not work or not work correctly. 

Windows 7 will usually install sound drivers but as they are non-Dell, problems as noted can occur. 

The Vista drivers should work OK since Win 7 is basically "vista improved". 

Although I don't normally suggest BIOS updates, I notice the 1.1.0 BIOS upgrade notes "added support for Windows 7" which suggests it is needed for Win 7.

Reinstall the Intel motherboard chipset drivers then the Dell Vista sound drivers and see if that helps.  On an install the chipset drivers MUST be installed BEFORE installing the sound drivers. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
WillJobe
1 Nickel

Thanks for the help but unfortunately nothing worked. I am already using the latest BIOS. I reinstalled the Intel chipset then the Realtek drivers from Dell but still only stereo speakers. As usual, when I look at the supported formats it looks correct but I can only configure stereo speakers.

Thanks again. Any more thoughts?

//Will

0 Kudos
WillJobe
1 Nickel

Another update. After intense googling after my problem I have seen a variety of screen dumps that show the Realtek Audio HD manager with more tabs where one includes speaker configuration. Mine looks like the following

Any ideas as to how I can get the correct configuration utilities, drivers, etc...

//Will

0 Kudos
fireberd
6 Indium

Could be the difference between the Dell drivers and other drivers.  As Dell only has Vista drivers that may also be the difference. 

Having tried several different drivers there can be some conflicts that is causing the problem.  A suggestion, go to the Device Manager, RIGHT click on the entry for the RealTek and then LEFT click and click "uninstall" and also check the box to uninstall the drivers.  This should give you a "clean start", restart the PC and when Windows starts it will detect and install a (probably) non-Dell driver but see how it works.  As I originally noted usually it doesn't work right but as Win 7 will install a Win 7 driver give it a chance and see what happens.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos