Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 10th, 2014 20:00

Radeon HD 7770 2GB

Is the Radeon HD 7770 2nd compatible with the Dell XPS 435mt? I connect it and when the drive end install wither it's through Windows update and from the AMD site, I get the blue screen of death. I tried it ways to install the drivers after a clean install of Windows 8 (x64).

The weird thing is that the first time I connected this model card it worked and installed drivers via Windows update. My pc surged due to faulty power string which messed up the video card. Before swapping the card, I swapped the motherboard for the stock motherboard (R849J) and got a higher wattage power supply (300w to 400w).

I install Win8 with a old card and get no issues,  then connect the new card and it shows a image but of course is missing drivers so quality isn't good, but can't seem to get it loaded.

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (atikampag.sys)

Thanks in advance!

1 Message

November 4th, 2014 14:00

I have the exact same issue with Windows 7 on an XPS 8300 machine. New drivers, old drivers always mess it up. I can with no drivers and no Aero desktop and it works OK but I got the card for video power.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 6th, 2014 05:00

There is a major conflict with windows update and even between 8.0 and 8.1

The only way I have been able to keep this stable is to NOT INSTALL the AMD driver at all.

You do  a clean install and then let windows download the update from microsoft.

After a while it will create its own sub directory and then install.

You then have to download and run Directx June 2010 patch and extract to a folder.

Then Run dxsetup.exe as administrator.

In 8.1 there is a further step where you add features back to windows that includes DOTNET 2.0 3.5 and LEGACY Direct Show.  You expand and check all the boxes and then download those items as well from windows update.

The problem seems to only get worse with the R7 and R9 series cards.

No Events found!