Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2016 08:00

Random reboots; do they suggest problem with PSU?

For a while now I have experienced random reboots of my Inspiron 560MT. These occur even just after start up from cold, and sometimes there have been several within minutes of each other. I have given the computer a clean too.

Given the computer has been with me for 6.5 years is it likely the PSU could be starting to fail? If that's likely, are replacements available and at what cost in UK? Is any other component capable of causing the same problem?

1.2K Posts

October 9th, 2016 10:00

just guessing, but the cable looks to be a SATA power cable for an additional HDD.

Did the crashing start after upgrading to Win 10?

Did the crashing start after the recent "anniversary update"

I've been reading about several issues with Win10 and drivers that were working no longer working.

If it were my system, and if I had a separate hard drive, I would re-install Windows 7 and run it through some tests to rule out a hardware issue vs a software issue.

I don't really have enough info to guess what might be the issue, but I would start disabling startup items one by one turning off all of the Win10 "telemetry" and "accelerators".

Good luck. It sounds frustrating.

October 9th, 2016 11:00

AFAICR the crashes may have started about time of install of  Win 10, but I can't be totally positive. Old memory!:emotion-6: I did have problems whilst with Win 7 also at times and required assitance, but what is gone from me.

Unfortunately I've no spare hard drive.

Start ups are selective: CCleaner, Dell System Detect, One Note, so there are few to disable.

Sorry I'm not sure about  Win10 "telemetry" and "accelerators.

Often the errors reported in Event Viewer mention App Readiness. I've just seen it s status is "stopped".

Could that relevant?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 9th, 2016 13:00

That error seems to be pointing at Cortana. Try disabling it. Right-click the Start button and select Search. Search for:  Cortana

From the search results look for the Settings screen where you can disable Cortana. Slide every single one of the buttons to OFF. And clear the device history too. Then reboot and see if that helps...

October 9th, 2016 14:00

All off now, The proof of the success will be a long time coming, as the crashes were erratic. I'll come back briefly in a few weeks to advise success, or earlier, if the problem continues.

Thanks everone.

1.2K Posts

October 9th, 2016 15:00

That error seems to be pointing at Cortana. Try disabling it. Right-click the Start button and select Search. Search for:  Cortana

From the search results look for the Settings screen where you can disable Cortana. Slide every single one of the buttons to OFF. And clear the device history too. Then reboot and see if that helps...

Thanks RoHe, that was what I meant by disabling the telemetry et-all. I'm not near a win10 system to suggest how.

893 Posts

October 9th, 2016 19:00

Hi

That is the HUGE post.

It seems that Power Supply Unit (PSU) or the battery could be the main culprit.

Those 2 are relatively easy to change.

I really don't know Amazon UK return policy, but those you need to get and possibly return PSU if it doesn't help.

Corsair CP-9020046-UK Builder Series CX430 - very good unit, will outlast your Dell for sure and is enough for standard setup.

CR 2032 Panasonic Lithium Coin Cell Batteries 3v

Next you would have to follow the Service Manual to replace above mentioned parts. Once you remove old SPU and battery, press and hold power button on PC for at least 30 seconds, to drain residual electricity.

Just make sure that your PC will stay without old PSU and old battery at least overnight, so all residual electricity will be drained for sure. After the replacement you will need to go to BIOS and set system time and date to current, otherwise you will be in troubles. If you did not change anything in BIOS, don't touch anything, as all settings will be reset to Default.

It was mentioned above about possible incompatibility of ESET and MBAM - not true, I am running both of them together for the past 6+ years and no problem like this.

If those replacements would not help, most likely it is a motherboard dying. It could be memory as well, but you need a working PC to test your memory sticks with Memtest86...

It is not a hard drive. Have you upgraded video card? If yes, how long ago and, which model you installed?

Just another 2 cents.

P.S. I am not taking over to solve this issue, regular board members (I am kinda retired) are very good here, SpeedStep just a bit rough on the edges, LOL but he is *** good, RoHe has all experience you need.

I am just waiting for suggestions on my post and just looking around....

Good Luck.

October 10th, 2016 09:00

Thanks, KISIANIK,  for the further suggestions.:)   As I wrote ealier, I'll wait a while to see if what has been done so far clears the annoyance. Further physical relations with the computer innards will be left to the more adept.

The PSU, if compatible, looks interesting and is more powerful.

Video card, the original NVidia G Force 310 was replaced by a ATI Reedon HD 4300/4500 about 2  or so years back, and the Dell hard drive by a Samsung HD642JJ slightly earlier.

October 10th, 2016 10:00

How much may what is in this link https://community.amd.com/thread/186683#2667389 

be contributing to my woes? My sys is 64-bit.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 10th, 2016 11:00

Hmmm... If the video card isn't compatible with Win 10, that might explain things. But how long were you running Win 10 on that PC before these random reboots starting happening?

893 Posts

October 10th, 2016 13:00

HM

Old ATI card issue - not at all. Lets take it out of the equation.

Follow this link.

Report back with the results, take your time, just to be sure.

Kisianik

P.S. I hope my post will be automatically approved for posting....

EDIT. Usually WIn8 drivers are working for WIn10, at least for old parts. I tested with my old HP laptops...

October 10th, 2016 15:00

Ron!

TBH I wish I could be sure. I did have problems around May with  10, sorted out by the "man", but I don't think they were the reboots. It's all to vague now with other personal family matters intervening. Sorry!

Taking the age into consideration. I'm debating whether the difference in repair costs (parts and labour) and a new (or refurbished) machine's cost is enough to make a repair good value. I'd onl need the bos and perhaps a keyboard.

Just for interest; what is something like this likely to cost, d you think?

October 11th, 2016 01:00

issing from above post

Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz

RAM Wolfdale 45nm Technology

4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz (7-7-7-20

Motherboard Dell Inc. 0K83V0 (CPU 1)

Graphics 024MB ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Hard Drive 596GB SAMSUNG HD642JJ (SATA)

Optical Drive PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16AAS

Audio High Definition Audio Device

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 11th, 2016 17:00

Has it crashed since you turned Cortana off?

October 12th, 2016 00:00

Last crash 8/10 and disablement Cortana mentioned 9/10, so I guess the answer's "no".

893 Posts

October 12th, 2016 02:00

Last crash 8/10 and disablement Cortana mentioned 9/10, so I guess the answer's "no".

How often you usually had those crashes prior to Cortana death, at least once a day?

And by the way, do you still have Defender (comes with Win10) - since you have ESET and MBAM there could be a conflict (but I doubt it will crash PC), I disabled Defender to avoid it (I have NOD32 and MBAM).

No Events found!