haaba01
2 Iron

Re: The Bootvis Program

Hi,

I downloaded the Bootvis.exe file on my Dimension 4300 XP. I'm not sure if this is automatically working behind the scenes when I start my computer. Or, do I have to go into the program itself and tweak it to optimize my computer on a regular basis? Thanks, Barb

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kippy50
3 Zinc

RE: Re: The Bootvis Program

I believe once you run it to do the optimization, the settings will stay that way until you do a defrag or disk check. The other settings such as driver delay I am not sure about. I usually run it after a defrag and the boot times are consistent. Kip

1gig
Creative SB Live
LG CDRW
XP - 256 Ram
Motorola SM56 Modem
Nvidia GeForce2

Helpful Xp Links

http://www.winxpfind.com
http://www.aumha.org/supp1b.htm
0 Kudos
haaba01
2 Iron

RE: Re: The Bootvis Program

Thanks for your help. Barb :>)

0 Kudos
G__Man
1 Nickel

RE: Re: The Bootvis Program *NEW*

Since this subject was brought up, I thought I'd take the chance to ask a question here.

I wanted to try using Bootvis to see if my boot time decreased. I ran the program and it created the charts of my boot progression items just fine. I then chose the 'Optimize' function, and re-booted. After re-boot, when Bootvis attempts to defrag the boot sector, I'm receiving a "Timeout Error" saying that "Bootvis was unable to defragment the boot sector because a timeout occured while waiting for the scheduled service to start. Click OK to quit".

This happens on every run of the optimize feature.
Has anyone else seen this or know what might be wrong?

Thanks.

GMan
====================================
This post was produced by the following system:

Dimension 8200/P4/2.0GHz (w/ *quiet* NMG fan)
Dell BIOS A03
1024MB RDRAM
60GB Maxtor 5T060H6 Hard Disk
LG CD-ROM CRD-8482B Drive
Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B Drive
Roxio ECDC/DCD v5.02d
Iomega ZIP 250 (Inboard)
Gainward nVidia 64MB DDR GeForce3 Ti 200 Display Adapter (O/C w/ PowerStrip @ 220Mhz/515Mhz)
HP ScanJet 5300C Flatbed USB Scanner
HP DeskJet 952C Color Printer
Philips USB Web Cam PCVC720K
Intel Home PC USB Web Cam CS331
Conexent HSF V92 56K RTAD Speakerphone PCI Modem
Dell M991 19" Trinitron Monitor
Voyetra Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Harman/Kardon HK-395 Speakers w/ Sub Woofer
CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Stargate DSL WAN Connection @ 1.5M/384K
Westell Wirespeed DSL Modem
Linksys EtherFast DSL Router (BEFSR41 V.2 / v1.40.2 Firmware)
Linksys EtherFast 10/100 5-Port Workgroup Switch (EZXS55W)
2 NetUPS SE PRC1500 (1500VA ea) Uninterruptible Power Systems
Windows XP - Home Edition
ZoneAlarm 2.6.362
FilterGate 4.06
0 Kudos
Highlighted
theDave
1 Copper

Re: The Bootvis Program *NEWEST*

I used to use Bootvis to optimize without a problem.  After several recent Windows critical updates, the same thing happened to me:  Timeout Error!  My bootup time from pressing power button to all taskbar icons loaded went from 38s to 51s (with NAV and NIS taking a long time). 

What I found out after reading the "Fast System Startup for PCs running Windows.doc":  the OPTIMIZE function of Bootvis is actually a normal Win XP function during IDLE periods.  Now I just use Bootvis to measure startup times/processes.  To OPTIMZE: I simply let the system idle with screensaver for 10-15min.  Currently my startup time is back to ~37s.

Good Luck!

Message Edited by theDave on 08-01-2004 07:27 PM

0 Kudos