Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

July 23rd, 2013 13:00

Rebooting over and over and over....

I have a DELL GX620 Optiplex Desktop, I carried it out of town with me. At the hotel, I hooked it up to the free WI-FI wireless service and every since then it reboots on its own (like every 5 seconds). I had bought a wireless network adapter to use and I was wondering was it the problem. I reinstalled the Windows 7 CD and it will still reboot in the middle of the installation. Could it be memory going bad? What about the AC/DC Power Adapter? What do I need to do to correct it?

1.5K Posts

July 23rd, 2013 15:00

Hi jord4,

Please run the diagnostics on the system to confirm hardware functionality. Here are the steps:

• Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F12' key to enter the 'Boot Menu'.
  • Use the 'Down Arrow' key to highlight the 'Diagnostics' option. Press the 'Enter' key.
  • The diagnostics will begin. Please note the exact error message/code, if any appears on the screen.

Please reply with the results, will take it further from there.

16 Posts

July 25th, 2013 11:00

I did what you said. I didn't get any error results. It showed Drive 0: Pass  Drive 1: CD-ROM/DVD Diagnostics not supported. Test completed. Press enter to reboot. I login and it went back to rebooting again over and over. It has to be a software problem...

1.5K Posts

July 25th, 2013 13:00

Hi jord4,

Thank you for sharing the information. Please boot the system to BIOS and check if the system is rebooting or shutting down there. Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F2' key to enter the 'BIOS'. Also, share the screenshot of 'Reliability Monitor' for me to review which application is crashing or causing this issue. Here are the steps to access Reliability Monitor:

• Click Start and type Reliability Monitor in the Search Box.
  • Click on Reliability Monitor from the applications listed above.

Please reply with the information and I'll be happy to assist further.

16 Posts

July 26th, 2013 10:00

Ok I will do that today at lunch. Also, I have www.TheBestPCdoctor.com looking into it and have did some work as well. They think my Windows 7 cd isn't good. So later on today, they want me to burn a couple of DVDs to download their software from another computer and use the DVDs on my desktop to see if that will work. I was kind of able to re-install my Windows 7 but during the installation, I couldn't tell if it completed, but it did. There are no drivers installed as well. I'll keep you posted.

16 Posts

July 26th, 2013 12:00

I just came back from Home on my lunch break. I went to the BIOS screen, didn't see any error messages. Next, I went to the start menu and tried to type in "Reliability Monitor", it rebooted on me again...

1.5K Posts

July 26th, 2013 18:00

Hi jord4,

Please boot the system in BIOS and leave it long enough to identify whether it is rebooting or shutting down in BIOS or not. Also, it appears that the Windows is not properly installed. I recommend that you perform clean installation of Windows 7. You may refer to the link http://dell.to/13nXHsM for instructions. Please backup the data as this process leads to data loss.

Please reply if you have any questions.

16 Posts

July 27th, 2013 12:00

I will be getting a clean installation of Windows 7 today, I will make sure to backup the data. How can I get the Reliability Monitor print screen to you?

1.5K Posts

July 29th, 2013 12:00

Hi jord4,

Please share the status of the system after reinstalling Windows 7. If the system is performing normally, then there is no need to share the screenshot of reliability monitor. Else, you may open reliability monitor, press the PrtScn key, open Paint application and paste it on it. Save the picture and share it here.

Please reply with the information, I'll be happy to assist further.

16 Posts

July 30th, 2013 09:00

Hi Saharsh,

Well, www.BestPcDoctors.com continued working on it over the weekend. They finished with reinstalling Windows 7, plus added some more software. On yesterday, I was able to get on the Wi-Fi Internet service. I downloaded my network adapter software onto my desktop but, still had issues with the rebooting on its own. I noticed that it only at times will reboot when I was downloading software like McAfee Antivirus, and Windows updates. This morning, it was still rebooting own its own agian. At lunch, I'll go home and do another Reliability monitor and send it to you today.

1.5K Posts

July 30th, 2013 13:00

Hi jord4,

Thank you for sharing the information. Please share the Reliability Monitor screenshot for me to review it. Will take it further from there.

16 Posts

July 31st, 2013 12:00

I don't have paint application, any other alternatives? I have it on my flash drive, I tried to put it on the Paint application at FedEx Office but it wouldn't take the document file it was in.

1.5K Posts

July 31st, 2013 18:00

Hi jord4,

Please share the picture or screenshot that you have saved in the flash drive. It is not necessary to be saved and shared through Paint application.

Please share the image for me to review it.

16 Posts

August 1st, 2013 10:00

I don't have Microsoft Word or Excel, would I need them? How do I download it from the flash drive?  www.BestPcDoctors.com uninstalled the Windows 7 and replaced it with Windows XP because my Desktop is old and they think it couldn't handle their Windows 7 software. It came with that software. But, they said lets see what happens...

1.5K Posts

August 1st, 2013 17:00

Hi jord4,

Please boot the system in Safe Mode with Networking and try downloading the Windows Updates there, check if the system is still rebooting or not. Here are the steps to boot to Safe Mode with Networking:

• Immediately after the computer is powered on or restarted, tap the F8 key.
  • The system will boot to the Advanced Boot Options menu.
  • Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode with Networking and press ENTER.

Please observe if the system is rebooting here or not. Reply with the information, I'll be happy to assist further.

16 Posts

August 2nd, 2013 06:00

We were doing that all along. www.BestPc Doctors.com was working out of Safe Mode with Networking. They worked on the Hard Drvie as well. They tried everything until they gave up and decided they couldn't fix it. So it must be a hardware issue. I tried running a PC Diagnostic from the support.dell.com website and it will reboot in the middle of the process. Then again, it might have something to do with the Wireless Network Adapter hooked to my Desktop. You know this didn't start until i start using it on this Wi-Fi Internet Service.

No Events found!