Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2009 10:00

Reccmd: Trbleshoot DVD?

I think the E: drv is faulty.  How can I be sure?

482 Posts

January 28th, 2009 14:00

Hello Boswell6 and welcome to the forum,

First, it is always important to post your computer information and OS when asking some technical question, but there is a simple method of determining hardware issues that I have used with my Dell 630i and 730 H2C.

Start your system and then hit F12 before Windows loads, you will now have a black screen, scroll cursor to "Diagnositic" and hit, now a blue screen with selections, scroll down to "Hardware" and hit, you should now have a sort of white screen with icons for the various hard ware, test your drive, if it is faulty you should get an error code.

If you recently recieved your unit by shipping or have moved the unit etc, the cable may have worked its way loose.  Take the panel off so that you have access to the inside of your computer and trace the cables (data such as a SATA and power) to the drive in question, are they firmly inplace on the drive?  are they firmly in place on the motherboard?

These are the most likely suspects, if this is not the issue, post back with your specifications and I will try to help you out or one of the more knowledgable forum users may have other ideas,

Best,

Darrell WV

4 Posts

January 28th, 2009 18:00

Darrell;

Thank you, for taking the time with this problem!

As per your suggestions; 

• STEP 1] Start, Hit f12 .see> Black scrn.    my result> Blue scrn,  Boot selection  ??

What now?

482 Posts

January 28th, 2009 19:00

Sorry Boswell6,

Not Boot selection, click on the "Diagnostic" selection, that should take you to something that reads:

Memory Test

Extended Memory Test

Then at the bottom you will see something like Systems test, choose Hardware or Other Test    Click here, then click on the drive that you want to test, such as Hard Drive, Processor, etc.  I believe that in your OP you stated Drive E.

The System Tree test is located here also, but I am not sure that you need to do that at this point, it can take hours to run, but if you see anything that seems logical, do it.

See if this works, if you are not able to enter the Diagnostics from F12, then try to access it from Windows, Dell Support Center, Diagnostics.

Let me know if this works for you,

Darrell WV

4 Posts

January 29th, 2009 18:00

Darrell;

Not Boot selection, click on the "Diagnostic" selection ...  I do not have a choice.  BOOT is it.

... access it from Windows, Dell Support Center, Diagnostics. ... I have done that, on 3 occasions, all passed!

The issue does not seem to be with the SEND TO option.  Have coppied to DOCUMENTS, & a folder, I created.

How to repair the in-ability to COPY, (bckup), to E: drv? 

482 Posts

January 29th, 2009 19:00

Good evening Boswell6,

sorry about that, I misunderstood what you were asking in the OP, this email makes it more clear what was the true issue.

First, do you know what model number your DVD is, that will make it easier, should be on your original invoice, if you do not have that, then go to Dell Support Center and on the left hand side of the screen you will see something like current system configuration, when you click it may ask you for permission to review your system, click yes, it will give you the drivers model numbers.

Now go to Drivers and Downloads in Dell Support Center, and click on this, when it asks for your Service Tag Number (center box) enter it OR the right hand box will be something like Make/Model/Type of computer, enter one of these offerings.

Now you will see options of drivers/downloads by category, click on CD/DVD and you will see a list of model numbers/types that your system was offered with from Dell. Click on any update that you might see for your driver in your system.  This should repair your drivers.

When I download a driver, I generally "SAVE" rather than "Run" but the choice is yours.  I run as administrator from the saved version, and then I burn a copy for safe keeping.

If there are no updates drivers on the Dell Support Center, then put your original disk from Dell labled "Original Drivers" and see if your original DVD drivers are there.  Your best bet is at the Dell Support Center though.

Hope that this is more clear than my last goose chase.  I am truly sorry for misunderstanding your issue earlier.

Darrell WV

No Events found!