Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 3rd, 2009 11:00

Recommendation for Replacement Mouse for Dell Computer

Earlier this year, the two-button, optical mouse on my Dell computer started acted funny -- single clicks on the mouse buttons were getting translated into double, triple clicks, etc.  I assumed that the mouse might need cleaning but, after placing a query on this forum, it became apparent that it isn't possible to clean this type of mouse.  Adjusting it, as suggested, helped but it apparently is worn-out and needs to be replaced.  Difficult to believe for a computer that's only a year-and-a-half old, but there you go.

I hope that folks on this forum will have suggestions as to what brand of mouse will last longer.  I had an IBM mouse that lasted for 10 years with no problems, even though it got the same type of use as my present computer, so I know that my present situation is unusual.

1.  I'm not using the computer for hard-core gaming, actually very little gaming at all.  The only heavy use it gets is when I use the copy-and-paste function to transfer text from one place to another.  I do use this a lot but I did with my IBM computer as well.

2.  I assume that it probably is best to get a name brand like Logitech, Microsoft, Kensington, etc. but maybe that isn't the case.

3.  Is there a feature that I should be looking for that would indicate longer-lasting buttons?

Thanks for whatever help, suggestions, etc. that anyone can provide.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2009 11:00

The Logitech and Microsoft mice seem to be the most widely available and are reliable.  The OEM mice that are supplied with most new PC's are not the "top line" mice so how long they will last just depends on the user. 

There are wired and wireless optical mice.  It's best to go somewhere, such as Best Buy, where they have display models and you can try them out.  Not all models "fit" everyone's hand and a comfortable feel is a prime item when buying a mouse.  There are basic mice with two buttons and a scroll wheel and then there are mice with additional buttons and features.  It's your call on what you want or need.

"Reccomentations" will vary widely.  Generally, when you ask a question such as this and with a device such as a mouse, most will just respond with they type they have. 

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 3rd, 2009 13:00

Before you toss your tired, old rodent, try quirting some canned air or contact cleaner into the spaces around the buttons. And use a soft cloth to clean the lens over the LED on the bottom of the mouse. Sometimes that's all it takes to give the rodent a new life.

As fireberd said, Logitech and Microsoft mice are reliable.  For me, a big issue is how it feels in my hand. Some are just too small and some feel flimsy to me. So I prefer a bigger/heavier mouse. And I never buy one unless I can actually hold it in my  hand.

Mice with programmable buttons are nice. There's usually included software that allows you to set certain buttons to automate things you do repeatedly.  For example, I set one side button to minimze all open windows so I can get to the desktop quickly.

I hate mice with wires, so I always go for a wireless one.  But some wireless mice have batteries you can't replace. When the rechargable batteries die you have to replace the whole mouse, which is plain stupid. So that's something to watch out for...

My 2-cents.

Ron

1 Message

January 13th, 2010 11:00

I like advice "before you toss..."

I hate waste. So I opened the bottom, cleaned the ball, and peered into the little chamber where I spotted what turned out to be a tiny pad of dust. Remove it with a Q-tip, put the mouse back together and it works. That fixed certain email functions I had been fretting about. I thought it was something in the email program, but it was the dust apparently not allowing full function of the left-click button.

Thanks. I'm getting some canned air and some pipe cleaners.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 13th, 2010 12:00

1hazeleyes

:emotion-21:  -One less rodent in the landfill!

I'd be careful about using pipecleaners. They typically have a wire inside which may stick out of the end. If that wire touches the wrong things inside the mouse...ZAP!

Q-tips and a good blast of canned air should be sufficient...

Ron

No Events found!