Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 18th, 2017 13:00

Recommendation for make/model of a 8Tb HDD ?

Hi,

If anyone is using a 3.5" SATA HDD with a capacity of 8Tb or over, I would value recommendations.

My criteria is reliability, quietness, and ideally 7200k speed. I intend to try one in a W10pro XPS desktop.

I wwould prefer recommendations from users who actually have experience using the HDD they are recommending. However, if you have particulrly bad experiences, I would like to find out what happened, so I can avoid that sort of situation.

Thanks in advance

Pete

1.2K Posts

September 18th, 2017 18:00

Mods, I thought this was useful to copy/paste here: along with this statement on use of the data from backblaze.

How You Can Use the Data

You can download and use this data for free for your own purpose, all we ask is three things 1) you cite Backblaze as the source if you use the data, 2) you accept that you are solely responsible for how you use the data, and 3) you do not sell this data to anyone, it is free.

I am not affiliated with backblaze, though I know several that use it as a backup service.

Data below in italics was taken from this page:

www.backblaze.com/.../

Backblaze is Using Enterprise Drives – Oh My!

Some of you may have noticed we now have a significant number of enterprise drives in our data center, namely 2,459 Seagate 8 TB drives, model: ST8000NM055. The HGST 8 TB drives were the first true enterprise drives we used as data drives in our data centers, but we only have 45 of them. So, why did we suddenly decide to purchase 2,400+ of the Seagate 8 TB enterprise drives? There was a very short period of time, as Seagate was introducing new and phasing out old drive models, that the cost per terabyte of the 8 TB enterprise drives fell within our budget. Previously we had purchased 60 of these drives to test in one Storage Pod and were satisfied they could work in our environment. When the opportunity arose to acquire the enterprise drives at a price we liked, we couldn’t resist.

Here’s a comparison of the 8 TB consumer drives versus the 8 TB enterprise drives to date:

What have we learned so far…

It is too early to compare failure rates – The oldest enterprise drives have only been in service for about 2 months, with most being placed into service just prior to the end of Q1. The Backblaze Vaults the enterprise drives reside in have yet to fill up with data. We’ll need at least 6 months before we could start comparing failure rates as the data is still too volatile. For example, if the current enterprise drives were to experience just 2 failures in Q2, their annualized failure rate would be about 0.57% lifetime.

The enterprise drives load data faster – The Backblaze Vaults containing the enterprise drives, loaded data faster than the Backblaze Vaults containing consumer drives. The vaults with the enterprise drives loaded on average 140 TB per day, while the vaults with the consumer drives loaded on average 100 TB per day.

The enterprise drives use more power – No surprise here as according to the Seagate specifications the enterprise drives use 9W average in idle and 10W average in operation. While the consumer drives use 7.2W average in idle and 9W average in operation. For a single drive this may seem insignificant, but when you put 60 drives in a 4U Storage Pod chassis and then 10 chassis in a rack, the difference adds up quickly.

Enterprise drives have some nice features – The Seagate enterprise 8TB drives we used have PowerChoice™ technology that gives us the option to use less power. The data loading times noted above were recorded after we changed to a lower power mode. In short, the enterprise drive in a low power mode still stored 40% more data per day on average than the consumer drives.

1.2K Posts

September 18th, 2017 14:00

checkout www.backblaze.com/.../hard-drive-test-data.html

I don't have any 8TB drives but the link above has some pages that are really interesting on drive stats and failure rates.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 19th, 2017 05:00

First Point is that the number of drive makers is down to 3.

Back Blaze therefore tested 2 makers.  HGST is hitachi which is now western digital and Toshiba for the 3.5 inch Drives.

Backblaze’s ongoing storage reports have garnered widespread attention. Most drive reliability studies are either small scale, take place over limited time scales, or refuse to reveal individual vendor ratings. Backblaze, on the other hand, comes right out and says what it has been testing and what the failure rates look like.

Seagate and their Click of death and poor customer service have led me to buy Western Digital and Toshiba drives exclusively.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-8TB-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B01BYLY4DM

https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Electronic-Components-Internal-HDWN180XZSTA/dp/B06Y2TSZBV/

46 Posts

September 20th, 2017 05:00

Thanks Dan-H.  Very interesting.

1.2K Posts

September 20th, 2017 07:00

Seagate and their Click of death and poor customer service have led me to buy Western Digital and Toshiba drives exclusively.

I agree., though I have gone 100% WD.The only toshiba I own is the originally supplied drives from Dell in the 8700s,  

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 20th, 2017 11:00

Given the Price and Warranty WD wins this one.  Seagate does replace failed drives but how many times do you want to do that.  They were not forthcoming on why their drives clicked to death. I will never again in my life buy a seagate.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11755/toshiba-x300-8-tb-hdd-now-available

46 Posts

September 22nd, 2017 08:00

Thank you everyone.

If I have any feedback, I'll post it here.

Question

The Gold or Red would be fine for a NAS or other storage. I was surprised to see that WD do not have an 8Tb Black - suitable for desktops.

For a desktop solution shall I wait for a Black or get a Gold?  Does anyone have any opinions? I hear tales of Golds not fixing errors because they are meant for Raid configurations.

Thanks

No Events found!