Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

June 11th, 2014 08:00

Recovering files from old computer backup to new computer

Hello, I need a little help in recovering files from my old computer backup to new computer. It's an external drive. I'm sure this is a simple procedure but I'm new to Windows 8 and I'm going in circles! Thanks in advance. Joe

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 11th, 2014 18:00

Are these data files (eg, docs, photos, music) or are you talking about application files?

If I can make a suggestion, install Classic Shell (free) or Start8 ($5) and you can make Win 8 look and behave just like Win 7. That way you should have no troubles copying data files by "drag and drop" from the external drive into whichever folders you want them in on the HDD in Win 8.

190 Posts

June 12th, 2014 06:00

Hello, I need a little help in recovering files from my old computer backup to new computer. It's an external drive. I'm sure this is a simple procedure but I'm new to Windows 8 and I'm going in circles! Thanks in advance. Joe

You do not describe what the back up is or how it was done?

If you did it with a 3rd party program, like Norton Ghost or Macrium Reflect for instance, they have features that will let you 'restore' files to a drive.

If it is just 'plain' files you have on the external, like pictures, documents, or video's, all you need do is copy them over. I use a '2 pane' Explorer replacement, but you can use Windows Explorer if you turn on the Navigation pane. All you need do is drag and drop the desired files from the Ext. drive to the place you want on the left side of Explorer in the Navigation pane.

I use Explorer++ as I find it a better Explorer than Explorer (web page seems to be down now) but you can get it here --> http://www.windows7download.com/win7-explorer-/ttrvazgz.html (or Google for it, many places have it for d/l).

If you want to restore programs, can't really be done, you need to re-install the programs generally speaking (unless they are portable and self-contained, no parts of the program placed in USER or any Registry entries). You CAN transfer the program folders over and possibly when installing it again it might save its data options, but not always.

1 Message

July 15th, 2014 04:00

Hallo!

if you are new at windows 8 I can recommand you the new DarWin 8 app. It's pretty cool and you will find all applications you need. There you can also fond how to ceare backup.

Here you can find it:

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/34d8175e-c19d-44aa-bce4-0ce561c04ab0

Hope I could help:)

No Events found!