Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 26th, 2017 18:00

Regarding Cleaning (de-dusting) an XPS 8920 Desktop

Hi, Newbie Here.

I've got a new XPS 8920, and noticed that there's a sizeable exhaust fan on the top of the unit. Since dust tends to accumulate on the top of the desktop, I was wondering if, aside from an occasional case-off thorough de-dusting, I should vacuum the fan grid/assembly on top regularly.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks,

Anton

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 27th, 2017 11:00

You might want to use canned air.  

Household vacuum cleaners can cause static which could damage the hardware.

307 Posts

June 27th, 2017 12:00

The only difference between canned air and a vacuum cleaner is the direction the air is moving. Static is not the issue, the issue is static discharge so be careful not the touch anything.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 27th, 2017 13:00

Using a vaccuum cleaner is what I do.  I also use canned air when it gets bad.  I do this OUTSIDE with a mask however as the dust is not good to breathe in.  You don't have to do this every day but once a month doesnt hurt.

732 Posts

November 3rd, 2017 21:00

Vacuuming the top will do nothing, tape a light paper etc on one side of the top vent.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 9th, 2017 08:00

Paper on the Top does NOTHING to prevent the dust bunnies getting inside.  I remove the side panel and open the cover to Vacuuum out or use can of air.  Again this is done outside for safety as well as to get the dust outside instead of just re circulating it inside.   The vent on the top blows out but the side and rear draw air in.  

732 Posts

November 9th, 2017 12:00

Hinged paper on top does SOMETHING, it keeps out dust and junk that accumulates on top. Of course most dust is ingested from elsewhere which is why I vacuum it out once in awhile also. What if someone rested a drink on top and it spilled into the top vent?

No Events found!