Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2009 13:00

Removing CD-ROM from a Dimension 4600

I had a hard drive crash on my Dimension 4600.   (The following Haiku I read somewhere popped into my mind -- apologies to the author, whoever you are, but this really should be immortalized:  Windows NT has crashed. / I  am the blue screen of death. / No one hears your screams.)

I have gotten a WD replacement hard drive in and it works.  However, I can't load Windows XP onto it because this 4660 had only a CD-ROM and my MSDN subscription gives DVDs.  So I'm trying to replace the CD-ROM with a DVD.  It was getting very flaky anyway.  Problem is, the 5 1/4"-form-factor 2-drive bay is fastened to the frame by what I think are rivets, and taking out the one screw that I can get at does not free the old CD-ROM. 

I think I can install the new DVD in the second bay from the front but it does seem strange not to be able to remove the old CD-ROM.  Is there a trick to this?  I don't know how to remove the plastic front of the case, just the bay cover -- maybe that's part of the trick?  So far I've never met a PC that refused to let go of a drive, but I guess there's a first time for everything ...\

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 7th, 2009 14:00

Oh, THIS was a link I should have read first.  Thanks!

rueful

Yep, that's what it's there for.    :emotion-55:

Pleased to have helped.    :emotion-2:

Ain't computers fun.    :emotion-5:

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

rueful

See if THIS <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>  can help you install the 5.25" optical drive.

A hint, you remove the drive from the front, after removing the front panel.

Bev.

3 Posts

Oh, THIS was a link I should have read first.  Thanks!

3 Posts

Bev,

I'm working as I post and I had just found that the DVD won't fit through the front panel.  I'm glad there is a way of removing the drive.  Hope!  Now my problem is to remove the front panel without breaking it off (wuss) or using my oxyhydrogen torch as a last resort ... There are apparently six plastic snap-tabs and I can only get at one from the back.  Are there approved pry points?  How many screwdrivers or putty knives have to be used at once? Thanks,

rueful

No Events found!