Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

February 16th, 2013 16:00

Replacement Springs for Studio XPS 435t / 9000 DVD doors?

I have lost the sprngs that attach the doors covering the DVD bays on my XPS 435t / 9000. The DVD drives still work, of course, but without the doors a lot of dust is getting inside the computer.

I would like to buy replacement springs and re-attach the doors, but I can't find the parts I would need to order.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sheri

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 16th, 2013 17:00

Hi Sheri,

First, let me mention that all cases allow air flow, so this door will not prevent dust from getting into the case. All desktop cases need to be opened and the dust blown out periodically anyway.

Here is your service manual. <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> It's a simple matter to take the front panel off the case, which includes the door. I would bring that to a local hardware store and ask for help finding a spring that will pull the door closed.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 16th, 2013 23:00

The springs wouldn't be a part that would be sold.  The ENTIRE FACEPLATE assembly would be.

Getting an empty shell of a case might be the only option.

Part Number(s): D792J/ 0D792J Bezel (Bezel), FRT, XPS, 435T/ 9000 For Dell Studio XPS 435T
Category: Internal Parts And Assemblies
Sub Category: Bezels
Notes: BZL, FRT, XPS, 435T
Part Number D792J/ 0D792J compatible with the following Dell Models:

Studio XPS 435T

No Idea what the part number is.  Dell is UNLIKELY to have or sell any parts for this model anymore.

http://www.codemicro.com/store/product/Dell-D792J-New

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 17th, 2013 03:00

It's a 35-cent spring. Honestly, a 2-cent rubber band would probably work. Not sure it's worth replacing the entire front panel.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 17th, 2013 07:00

It's a 35-cent spring. Honestly, a 2-cent rubber band would probably work. Not sure it's worth replacing the entire front panel.

I didn't say it would be worth it.  I do believe I am correct about the part though.

Dell does not sell tiny parts like that and is unlikely to have them for a model that was introduced in 2009.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 17th, 2013 14:00

If it's that big an issue to the OP, I second Speedstep's advice. Replace the panel and be careful not to lose the springs again!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 17th, 2013 14:00

I pulled the front panel off my Studio XPS 8100 (similar case), and it certainly appears that a small rubber band would work equally well and is probably easier to fit into the little plastic ears.

No Events found!