Highlighted
Argonaut110
1 Copper

Replacement Video card for Dell Dimension 9200

Hi,

Iv'e just been given a new computer to be used as a gaming computer, but I need to replaced my Nvidia GeForce GT8800 GTX card. You may think "WOAAAAAAAAAAAH! That card's perfectly powerful as it is!" But I really just need to get a 1GB one instead of a 768mb one for stuff like Il-2 Cliffs of Dover. But i'm worried which card's will fit and i'm on a tight budget (£0-40). Im currently looking at a ATi Radeon 5450 but I don't know which will fit. Ill list some more that I can consider in my price range (already including the previously mentioned ones)

Evga NVIDIA GeForce GT 520

Palit GeForce 8400GS

ATI AMD Radeon HD 6450

Out of them please tell 1) Which could fit and 2) Which would be best (out of the ones that would fit if there's more than one)

Thanks!

A

0 Kudos
16 Replies

Re: Replacement Video card for Dell Dimension 9200

Hi,

My name is Savinder and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell.

You can use any of it but do not forget to check the hardware requirement for the video card before purchasing.

Because if you buy a video card which is not compatible with your system configuration then that may create more issues to it

Hope that answer your question

Thanks,

Dell - Savinder S

0 Kudos

Hi Argonaut110,

Welcome to the Community.

In addition to the above reply from  DELL-Savinder S

The power supply on the computer is 375W you would very limited options in those options are:

Evga NVIDIA GeForce GT 520

Palit GeForce 8400GS

Out of the above mentioned NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 is the best suited as it has more Video memory also resolution is better in this video card.

Please respond in case you need any further assistance or clarification.

Thanks and regards,
Madhur B
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Osmium

The 6450 is a good budget card with minimal power requirements. It's superior to the 8400GS, which is an old design, and boasts an onboard HDMI sound device.

I haven't tried a 520 GT, so I can't comment. The 5450 I wouldn't recommend, as 1., it's underpowered; and 2, it has BIOS sleep issues.

0 Kudos
Kelbear1
4 Beryllium

The 8800 GTX is better than any of the cards you have listed.  These cards do not even meet the requirement for the game.  It does not matter if the card has 1GB of memory.  They are all too slow.  

If you want a card that is a step up from the 8800 GTX that has 1GB of memory, get the GTS 450 shown HERE.  Otherwise, consider getting the better HD 6770.  The GTS 450 and HD 6770 are equal to the 250 and 5770 in the list. 

*SUPPORTED VIDEO CARDS AT TIME OF RELEASE:
ATI®
4850/4870/5830/5850/5770/5870/6870/6950/6970
NVidia®: 8800/9800/250/260/275/285/460/465/470/480

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Osmium

Darn, I didn't see that the OP is intent on gaming. The 8400GS is absolutely useless for gaming, and the 6450 isn't much better.

The AMD competitor to the GTS 450 is the 7750, and they seem to be about equal in gaming performance. However, the 7750 does not require a separate power connector, and is definitely compatible with the stock power supply.

0 Kudos
Argonaut110
1 Copper

Thanks for all your opinions guys- the sense of community here is great!

Anyway, I think the one I should pick would be the GeForce 520, but would it fit into my Dell or would I have to externally plug it in?

(Remember i've never done this before..:emotion-8: )

0 Kudos
Argonaut110
1 Copper

"The 8800 GTX is better than any of the cards you have listed.  These cards do not even meet the requirement for the game.  It does not matter if the card has 1GB of memory.  They are all too slow."

The Supported video cards are not the reqiurements of the game, just the cards that were "tested" on time of release...Right?  

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Hi Argonaut110,

We wouldn't recommend something that didn't fit internally, since that's the only way to connect a video card to any computer. Here's a link to your service manual to help you get started.

0 Kudos
Argonaut110
1 Copper

When I removed the cover yesterday I could easily (but safely) remove the video card, I'll have another look today to see how my new card would fit in...

Also to clarify would the Gt 520M be better overall than the current 8800 GTX?

0 Kudos