Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2010 13:00

Replacement power supply for Dell Dimension 9150

I have a 4+ year old Dell Dimension 9150 in which the fan on the power supply is getting louder by the day.

I'm looking for advice on a replacement power supply. Anyone have any good recommendations?

I'll also need some advice on getting the CPU heat shield out of the way.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 4th, 2010 13:00

BriLang 

The 9150 does not have a Dell proprietary power supply, you can use most standard ATX power supplies with either, a 24-pin or 20+4-pin P-1 main motherboard power connector and with a minimum of 2-SATA power connectors.

As the 9150 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be used.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply, from most local, or online computer stores.

Check the Corsair and Antec makes of power supplies.

The Dimension 9150 Service Manual is HERE

Bev.

8 Posts

November 5th, 2010 14:00

Thanks Bev.

I've been researching the WM283 PS that's in my Dell, and keep finding mention of a 6pin Dell Proprietary Connector. Is that connector used? If so, what for?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 5th, 2010 14:00

Thanks Bev.

I've been researching the WM283 PS that's in my Dell, and keep finding mention of a 6pin Dell Proprietary Connector. Is that connector used? If so, what for?

BriLang 

That's in reference to Dell's obsolete proprietary power supply, that not been used by Dell, for over eight years.

Dell Dimension systems, 2200/2300/2350/2400,4300,4400,4500,8200 and above, [with the exception of the Dimension 4100] the PSUs are to ATX [20-pin] standard, that have been modified, by having the power on-off switch removed.

The PSU's in the Dimension systems, prior to these systems are proprietary and are not standard ATX.

Dimension 8100 systems use an even more propietary power supply, just made for that system and two or
three others.

The Dimension 4700, 8400 and e310/3000 systems and above, use a standard ATX, with a 24-pin or 20+4-pin connector, power supply, without the on/off switch.

Dell's small format and several XPS systems, use either a proprietary, or a TFX power supply.

Examples of Non-Standard ATX Power suppies, is a power supply for a small form factor system, due to it's shape, physical size and wiring harness, the power supplies for some of the earlier obsolete Dell computers, due to their non-standard wiring harness and some of Dell's newer XPS desktop models, due to their proprietary shape and size.

Bev.

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

December 15th, 2010 01:00

After my second Dell PSU failed I bought a Seasonic SS-520GB (520W) PSU. I am very pleased with it. It has a power switch and plenty of leads, and is very quiet and stable. You need to snap off a metal tab from the 9150 case to fit it in but that's no big deal.

You can buy a Corsair and other brands cheaper but I read people had problems with them.

The Dimension 9150 manual shows you how to remove the CPU heat sink so as to clean the CPU fan. Otherwise, better not to touch it...

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 15th, 2010 03:00

The

[quote user="BriLang"]

Thanks Bev.

BriLang 

That's in reference to Dell's obsolete proprietary power supply, that not been used by Dell, for over eight years.

Dell Dimension systems, 2200/2300/2350/2400,4300,4400,4500,8200 and above, [with the exception of the Dimension 4100] the PSUs are to ATX [20-pin] standard, that have been modified, by having the power on-off switch removed.

The PSU's in the Dimension systems, prior to these systems are proprietary and are not standard ATX.

Dimension 8100 systems use an even more propietary power supply, just made for that system and two or
three others.

The Dimension 4700, 8400 and e310/3000 systems and above, use a standard ATX, with a 24-pin or 20+4-pin connector, power supply, without the on/off switch.

Dell's small format and several XPS systems, use either a proprietary, or a TFX power supply.

Examples of Non-Standard ATX Power suppies, is a power supply for a small form factor system, due to it's shape, physical size and wiring harness, the power supplies for some of the earlier obsolete Dell computers, due to their non-standard wiring harness and some of Dell's newer XPS desktop models, due to their proprietary shape and size.

Bev.

[/quote]

The 4100 modification to the motherboard is MUCH MORE than on/off switch modification.   The Pinout is quite different.

POWER SUPPLY 200W PROPRIETARY!!  NPS-200PB-73
Part Number 9228C compatible with the following Dell Models

Dimension 4100, Dimension 4100, DT, Dimension 4100, MT, Dimension LXXXc MMT, Dimension V___, Dimension V___C, Dimension VXXX MDT, Dimension VXXX MT, Dimension XPS BXXXR MDT, Dimension XPS BXXXR MT, Dimension XPS R, Dimension XPS TXXX MDT, Dimension XPS TXXX MT, Optiplex E1 MT, OptiPlex G1, Optiplex G1(+) M, Optiplex G1(+) MT, Optiplex Gn M, Optiplex Gn MT, OptiPlex GX1, OptiPlex GX1 Large Tower, OptiPlex GX1 Low Profile Desktop, Optiplex GX1 M, OptiPlex GX1 Mid-Size Desktop, OptiPlex GX1 Ultra Small FF (Net PC), OptiPlex GX1 Ultra Small Form Factor, OptiPlex GX100, Optiplex GX100 MT, OptiPlex GX110, Optiplex GX110 M, Optiplex GX110 MT, OptiPlex GX110 (R2), OptiPlex GX110 (Socket processsor), OptiPlex GX115, OptiPlex GX1P, Optiplex GX1p M, Optiplex GX1p MT, OptiPlex GX200, Optiplex GX200 M, Optiplex GXA EM M, Optiplex GXA EM MT, Optiplex GXA M, Optiplex GXA MT

Hooking a DELL 9228C to ANYTHING other than the above mentioned systems causes complete destruction of the board due to wiring that is non standard.

January 26th, 2011 14:00

I just replaced the power supply in y Dell XPS 400/Dimension 9150 courtesy of my Dell extended warranty.  Thankfully the fan noise is gone but I also received an unexpected bonus.  The PC is running much faster.  Apps are more responsive, downloads faster, etc.  It was almost like adding additional RAM.  The only explanation I have is that the fan was dragging the power supply voltage down and the CPU was not receiving full power.  My PC was 4.5 years old and left to run continuously 24/7. You may wish to check with Dell replacement parts for their price on a power supply befor going to a third party.  The PS has a multitude of power cables attached to it that a third party PS may not have.

The

[quote user="shesagordie"]

[quote user="BriLang"]

Thanks Bev.

BriLang 

three others.

Bev.

[/quote]

The 4100 modification to the motherboard is MUCH MORE than on/off switch modification.   The Pinout is quite different.

Dimension 4100, Dimension 4100, DT, Dimension 4100, MT, Dimension LXXXc MMT, Dimension V___, Dimension V___C, Dimension VXXX MDT, Dimension VXXX MT, Dimension XPS BXXXR MDT, Dimension XPS BXXXR MT, Dimension XPS R, Dimension XPS TXXX MDT, Dimension XPS TXXX MT, Optiplex E1 MT, OptiPlex G1, Optiplex G1(+) M, Optiplex G1(+) MT, Optiplex Gn M, Optiplex Gn MT, OptiPlex GX1, OptiPlex GX1 Large Tower, OptiPlex GX1 Low Profile Desktop, Optiplex GX1 M, OptiPlex GX1 Mid-Size Desktop, OptiPlex GX1 Ultra Small FF (Net PC), OptiPlex GX1 Ultra Small Form Factor, OptiPlex GX100, Optiplex GX100 MT, OptiPlex GX110, Optiplex GX110 M, Optiplex GX110 MT, OptiPlex GX110 (R2), OptiPlex GX110 (Socket processsor), OptiPlex GX115, OptiPlex GX1P, Optiplex GX1p M, Optiplex GX1p MT, OptiPlex GX200, Optiplex GX200 M, Optiplex GXA EM M, Optiplex GXA EM MT, Optiplex GXA M, Optiplex GXA MT

Hooking a DELL 9228C to ANYTHING other than the above mentioned systems causes complete destruction of the board due to wiring that is non standard.

[/quote]

The

[quote user="shesagordie"]

[quote user="BriLang"]

Thanks Bev.

BriLang 

three others.

Bev.

[/quote]

[/quote]

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 29th, 2011 09:00

callmevc

You may need to remove the fan assembly to remove the cables.

The Dimension 9150 Service Manual, is HERE

The Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 shown in your link, will be fine for the Dimension 9150.

Bev.

2 Posts

January 29th, 2011 09:00

Hi,

My 9150 power supply also failed, and I am trying to replace it. I am finding it hard to remove all the power supply cables especially the ones that are routed beneath the CPU fan. Any tricks to get around this ?

I am planning to replace it with an Antec modular PS to keep things simple:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

Thanks,
Vijay.

No Events found!