Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 24th, 2013 17:00

Replacing HDD & need Dell Dimension XP Disc

Hi - I'm a new forum poster, but have been using this forum for years and never needed to post as I usually find what I'm after. Not today though...

I have an older Dell Dimension XP bought May 2005 in Canada. I want to wipe the system clean as it's painfully slow, with driver conflicts and who knows what else going on. I had a tech replace the hard drive in 2007, so there's no system restore buried on it as with the original hard disc.

Question 1: How can I get an XP OS restore disc?

I'm not worried about the drivers, just getting XP refreshed and running?

Question 2: I have a Vista system restore disk for my XPS1330 - can I use this?

Details: Dimension 3000 / Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (32-bit) /  [ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy]   

If the answer is already out there, a link is appreciated and apologies for not finding it myself!

Thank you for your help,

Don

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 24th, 2013 18:00

Don.Christie

If you reside in the US and are the registered owner of the computer, a disc containing the factory-installed operating system specific to your system, can be requested from HERE.

Note: Dell may make a charge for the disc.

If you don't reside in the US, contact Dell's Support that's located in your country. 

I've also seen Dell reinstallation discs for sale on eBay.

No, a Dell Vista reinstallation disc cannot be used on a Dell system when XP was factory installed.

Bev.

March 24th, 2013 20:00

Thanks, Bev!

I'll reach out to Canadian out of warranty tech support and see what I can find. I don't see a similar form up here.

I'd already been through ebay, kijiji, craigslist, etc., for resale copies, and will revisit if needed after calling Dell.

Thanks for heading me off the idea of trying Vista discs.

I'll follow up if for some reason I can't acquire this through Dell Canada or for sale online.

Hopefully I get it sorted. The machine still works - seems a shame to landfill something that can be as useful as it once was, but it desperately needs to be wiped.

Don

March 24th, 2013 21:00

Thanks, rdunnill.

I was searching by computer name for XP, not by the OS name (I know, I see the 'duh' now). Still, the idea is to get this running with minimal expense. It's a 3rd computer in this house, so more for the kid or guest room.

I don't expect it'll run Windows 7 very well. Old video, Pentium 4, light on the RAM. The MS test said it'd need a video upgrade to get anything out of 7.

Thanks for your reply. I'll keep an eye out for a full copy of XP if Dell won't provide the recovery disc.

Cheers,

D.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 24th, 2013 21:00

There are oodles of copies of XP for sale on eBay. Then again, you could also put the money towards a copy of Windows 7, which the 3000 is compatible with. (I don't think it's compatible with Windows 8.)

Another option is to delete the devices causing conflicts; if there are "ghost" devices claiming resources, there is a way to show them in Device Manager so that they can be deleted.  

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 24th, 2013 22:00

I don't expect it'll run Windows 7 very well. Old video, Pentium 4, light on the RAM. The MS test said it'd need a video upgrade to get anything out of 7.

Folks here have been able to get their Intel onboard video working with Windows 7 using the XP driver.

As for XP, you can install a retail version (without activating) and then use Microsoft's product key changer utility to activate with your Dell's product key. I tried that with a Dimension 3000's XP Home product key. (I bought an empty Dimension 3000 case on eBay and built it up with aftermarket parts.)  

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Don.Christie

Don,

Good luck.   :emotion-21:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=Dell+XP+reinstallation+disks&_sacat=58058&_from=R40

Forgot to mention, the XP reinstallation disc, must be the same flavour/version, as the version that was factory installed.

Bev.

Thank you both!

I'm not sure whether I was service pack 2 or 3... I'll find the original bill and see if I can figure that out. First things first, I'll get on the phone with Dell tomorrow and see if there's a chance of getting the disc directly.

Good to know about using a retail version then the windows info on my computer activate... that should mean if I can find someone with a retail copy of windows, I can simply use that to load it up. That's another possible solution, I guess.

Thanks again.

D.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 24th, 2013 23:00

I don't think SP2 or SP3 matters, as you can download and apply those. The big changes were between XP and XP SP1.

April 3rd, 2013 17:00

Just getting back to this. Dell Canada want $59 + tax + shipping for replacement disks. I figure the computer is worth about $50, so will try to find these elsewhere.

D.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 3rd, 2013 18:00

EBay is a good source for such things. There are many Dell-branded XP install discs for sale there, and you don't need a COA, as you already have one.

No Events found!