Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2011 14:00

Replacing hard drive for Dimension 8200

I recently had a hard drive fail on my Dimension 8200. I want to replace it with 1 Terabyte hard drive. It will be primarily used for storing all my music and hooked up to my entertainment center to play through. I have read that I need to upgrade my BIOS. What is needed and what else do I have to look out for? My current specs are:

Intel Pentium 4

Old hard drive 80GB

L1 cache 8 KB

L2 cache 256 KB

System BIOS Chip 4 Mb

Clock 400 MHz data rate

All help is appreciated.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 5th, 2011 16:00

Hang on a nano-sec!

I don't see any SATA hard drive connectors on the 8200 motherboard so I doubt you'll be able to install a 1T drive. Looks like the 8200 can only use IDE hard drives so that may limit your choices to a smaller drive. But you could install 2 IDE hard drives, if needed, or maybe use an external 1T USB hard drive.

The latest version of BIOS for the 8200 is A09.  There are 2 different options to download it and create the bootable floppy disk you need to run the update so read and follow the instructions. There's always a small risk that a BIOS flash update will fail and brick your motherboard so keep that in mind too.

Note: there's an alternative version of BIOS, but that one is ONLY! for an 8200 with either a SoundBlaster "AUDIGY" or "AUDIGY2" SOUND CARD installed. If you have that card you should use this alternative BIOS to make the sound card work correctly.

Disconnect all peripherals, except mouse, monitor and keyboard before flashing the BIOS update. Don't run it if there are any thunder storms in your area or chances the power might blink or go out.

You didn't say what version of Windows you use, but you can find directions a manual Windows installtion here. You'll need your Dell Windows CD plus the hardware drivers for the installed hardware. And drivers have to be installed in the correct order!

Ron

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

That Bev, she's always typing faster than me!  :emotion-10:

Ron

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

I recently had a hard drive fail on my Dimension 8200. I want to replace it with 1 Terabyte hard drive. It will be primarily used for storing all my music and hooked up to my entertainment center to play through. I have read that I need to upgrade my BIOS. What is needed and what else do I have to look out for? My current specs are:

Intel Pentium 4

Old hard drive 80GB

L1 cache 8 KB

L2 cache 256 KB

System BIOS Chip 4 Mb

Clock 400 MHz data rate

All help is appreciated.

Uel

One Terabyte hard drives are usually SATA, the Dimension 8200 has no support for SATA drives, only IDE/EIDE drives.

The largest IDE hard drive available, is 500GB

Do you intend to install a PCI SATA controller card?

Bev

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 5th, 2011 17:00

Sorry, Ron, that's never my intention, but you put more words in your posts, than I do    :emotion-13:

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 5th, 2011 22:00

Intel Pentium 4

Old hard drive 80GB

L1 cache 8 KB

L2 cache 256 KB

System BIOS Chip 4 Mb

Clock 400 MHz data rate

All help is appreciated.

You need a PCI SATA card like the Syba 150R. I used one of those in three separate Dells, including a 4550, 3000, and 2350, with excellent results. It's only around $15 at Newegg.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 6th, 2011 12:00

Another alternative IF your system supports 48 BIT LBA is an IDE TO SATA Bridge.

The only issue is that cable select isnt an option with this type of bridge.

So you need to set your CDROM jumper to Master and then use an IDE to sata Bridge also set to master.

If your bios does not support 48 BIT LBA then drives larger than 120 GIGS will only be seen as 120 Gigs.

No drivers are needed to use this device.

Micro Center - Kingwin SATA to IDE Bridge Board ADP-06

SATA to IDE Bridge Board
Close
SATA to IDE Bridge Board _
_
Original Price: 9.99 You Save: $4.00
_
Our Price:
$5.99
SKU 376152
Mfr Part #: ADP-06
UPC: 812348010265

2 Posts

January 6th, 2011 14:00

Thanks all! I will look at these options carefully. Much appreciated!

Uel

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 6th, 2011 14:00

Uel

Good luck, with the upgrade.

Bev.

No Events found!