Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2008 01:00

Replacing power supply on XPS 410

Hi. We're trying to upgrade the power supply on our xps 410 to accomodate an nvidia GTX9800.

It's easy enough to remove the screws and the pin connectors and most of the cables, but one set of cables (mostly to the HDD) is held to the side of the case by hard plastic white tabs that don't seem to have any release mechanism. This cable also snakes under the fan and CPU, making it hard to remove.

All the documentation about replacing a power supply seem to assume that removing all the cables is cake. So either I'm a total idiot on this or, or..... ?

Any advice? We're installing a Ultra LS 600 watt supply, any advice on that appreciated.

217 Posts

June 26th, 2008 01:00

I thought the 410's used a proprietary power supply....

Evil.

30 Posts

June 26th, 2008 03:00

You're gonna have to remove the heatsink to get rid of the cable running behind it. You'll also have to cut the plastic holding the cables together.

I upgraded the PSU in my similar XPS 400 by removing the heatsink and cutting the plastic. Everything worked fine.

Good luck.

1.4K Posts

June 26th, 2008 09:00

@rgehorsam wrote:

Hi. We're trying to upgrade the power supply on our xps 410 to accomodate an nvidia GTX9800.

It's easy enough to remove the screws and the pin connectors and most of the cables, but one set of cables (mostly to the HDD) is held to the side of the case by hard plastic white tabs that don't seem to have any release mechanism. This cable also snakes under the fan and CPU, making it hard to remove.

All the documentation about replacing a power supply seem to assume that removing all the cables is cake. So either I'm a total idiot on this or, or..... ?

Any advice? We're installing a Ultra LS 600 watt supply, any advice on that appreciated.

The Ultra LS600 is not really an upgrade, only 2 more amps (32) of +12v power and not much more efficient than the stock Dell psu, no extra pcie connector, and not known for it's quality.

The 9800 GTX has a 24 amp minimum system power reccomendation, I'd advise you try it out with the existing 30 amp power supply.

1.4K Posts

June 26th, 2008 10:00

I wouldn't cut the clips, simply open them, use a flashlight to help you see the locking configuration and a thin screwdriver to pop them.

Do you have the most recent bios and chipset updates for your machine ?

Please post the rest of your spec's.

Edit; Forgot to ask, did you have power to both ports on the card ?

Message Edited by contrvlr on 06-26-2008 07:35 AM

5 Posts

June 26th, 2008 10:00

Interesting.   We did install the gtx with the old psu still in and got the message that the card would only work at a limited performance level.  if the Ultra (which was pretty inexpensive) isn't the right PSU and the existing one is not sufficient, do you have a recommendation?  And is the previous note about removing the heat sink and cutting the tabs also the right approach to removing those cables?  Thanks!

3.9K Posts

June 26th, 2008 17:00

That performance message sounds like you probably didn't hook the card up to the power supply or something along those lines.  I've never heard of that message being triggered except when that's the case.

1.4K Posts

June 28th, 2008 20:00

You would need to use the 2x molex to 6 pin adapter, that should have come with the card, attatched to the only molex connector on the stock psu.

14.4K Posts

The 9800GTx requires two six pin power connectors. If you have only one then the card is not getting enough power. Not shure if your powersupply has an extra connector to be able to use with this card.

5 Posts

I have 2 Gigs of Ram, Windows XP, and my processor is an Intel Core (2 CPU) 6400@2.13 GHZ (2CPU's).

I only have one cable plugged in to the 9800 GTX, I think it's 6 Pin. There is another slot available in the GPU, but I don't know which cable I would use from the PSU that would fit in to this extra slot.

5 Posts

June 28th, 2008 22:00

OK!  It looks like i have the card running just fine now even with the stock PSU...the error message has gone away and my demo version of Unreal Tournament looks and runs better than ever.

BUT....

Now when I boot, I get an error message that says the system can't find SATA Drive 01, which I assume refers to the DVD drive (since the HD boots just fine and I can get to the Windows desktop.)  I think I have everything plugged in correctly, one connector from the PSU and one smaller orange cable that runs from the drive to the motherboard (there are four identical plugs on the motherboard that it can connect to, and I've tried all of them to no avail.)   The DVD drive light blinks on and off during power-on, but in Windows it's not recognized as a device.  So I can't use it.  My guess is this is something simple, but I'm not recognizing what might be causing it.

1.4K Posts

June 28th, 2008 23:00

@rgehorsam wrote:

OK!  It looks like i have the card running just fine now even with the stock PSU...the error message has gone away and my demo version of Unreal Tournament looks and runs better than ever.

BUT....

Now when I boot, I get an error message that says the system can't find SATA Drive 01, which I assume refers to the DVD drive (since the HD boots just fine and I can get to the Windows desktop.)  I think I have everything plugged in correctly, one connector from the PSU and one smaller orange cable that runs from the drive to the motherboard (there are four identical plugs on the motherboard that it can connect to, and I've tried all of them to no avail.) 

Great that you got the card running.:smileyvery-happy:

There are actually 6 sata ports on your motherboard, sata 0 and 1 are by themselves above the bank of 4. ( sata 1 is the lower of the 2 on my board, they are labeled though )

5 Posts

you're a genius.  everything seems good for  now!  thanks.  onward to Crysis and Bioshock at high graphics settings. 

what's interesting is that i'm still using the factory PSU (375 watts) when everyone asserts that 550 or 600 is mandatory.  unless i'm going to suffer some other performance issues i'm not aware of, everything seems ok.

Thanks again.  Much appreciated.

1.4K Posts

rgehorsam, You're Welcome :smileyhappy:
No Events found!